Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2018, 18:18   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
Solar Charging. Where too

Our boat is a Catalina 30 1979. Bad wiring, had been added on and taken away many times. Want to redo the whole setup. Just have a few questions regarding some issues. Hope you guys can help. Been through many threads here but get all messed up with many options. We have house and start batteries.
We have onboard Battery charger when plugged in at shore
Also solar
Engine when running(alternator)

How do I handle all charging circuits. Where is the best place to send all charging currents. To house or both.
How do you handle when plugged in and battery charger going solar is also putting out supply. I guess same way when running the engine the solar again is also putting out. Is this good for the batteries.
I guess I'm asking will the charge controller for the solar shut down when the battery is fully charged etc.
We leave our boat at slip while we are away for sometimes 4-6 mths. We aren't plugged in so solar is there to maintain the batteries for sump. The solar we have now is in bad shape and I have a new complete system. Just need to know the best way to hook up things.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 05:16   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Solar Charging. Where too

All charging sources go to house. Use an ACR or Echo charger to keep start battery topped up.

All charging sources can deal with each other just fine if all are set to battery specs.

Eliminating the dreaded 1\2\Both switch is a great upgrade. This is what I am using.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8280.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	182367

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 22:16   #3

Re: Solar Charging. Where too

Bleemus is right about charging sources.

His preferred switching option is but one of many and the much aligned 1-2-B switch should also be considered.

Like this:

OEM 1-2-B Switch Wiring History Alternator/Batteries & "The Basic" 1-2-B Switch BEST Wiring Diagrams

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams

This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowner...d.php?t=137615

This is a newer primer for boat system wiring design with a thorough digram: Building a Good Foundation (October 2016)
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/ind.../#post-1332240

The Short Version of the 1-2-B Switch Stuff: Electrical Systems 101 This is a link to the Electrical Systems 101 Topic, reply #2

What are ACRs, Combiners & Echo Chargers? (by Maine Sail) [scroll to the top]
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowner...d.php?p=742417 and Battery isolator / voltage regulator / batteries
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, solar