Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 16:15   #91
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Solar Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The wire size certainly needs to be much greater for parallel connection and as Jedi points out you should take the cost difference into account when deciding on your system. Also consider the difficulty of installing large cables.

However, cabling with a resistance of 0.1 Ohms would be totally inappropriate for a 36A system so it is not a realistic example. The voltage loss would be 3.6v at full output.
I have seen worse…..
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 20:44   #92

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

A couple of points:

Since a solar panel is a current source, and the operating voltage is determined by the battery's ability to accept that current, the current remains the same regardless of, say, a 1V drop in the cables. Assuming that it is operating to the left of the knee in the I-V curve. So the panel voltage would be 1V higher. The loss in the wire is compensated by the increased output of the solar panel (same current, higher voltage at the panel). Basically some of the panel's potential output that is not realized in shunt controllers is now wasted in the wires instead of not being created in the first place. No big deal.

My main point is that installing a solar charging system requires a systems approach. When it comes to cabling it is important to correctly size the cables (panel to battery) with an eye towards the maximum voltage drop. Also diode drops and drops through the controller (remember, junction transistors have 2 diode drops) must be considered. In this regard 12V nominal systems do require special care, and sometimes pretty large cables. Which is back to the point that large solar systems are a no-brainer for MPPT controllers, but small ones may not be worth it. It will depend entirely on the specifics of the system; there is no one size fits all.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 21:26   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Solar Panels, new technologies

Ceramic material for solar panels could make them cheaper, more efficient

A unique solar panel design made with a new ceramic material points the way to potentially providing sustainable power cheaper, more efficiently, and requiring less manufacturing time. It also reaches a four-decade-old goal of discovering a bulk photovoltaic material that can harness energy from visible and infrared light, not just ultraviolet light.

This affordable sun-powered future could be closer than we think thanks to early tests on this new material, which was developed by a team led by scientists at the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University. The tests were conducted, in part, at the Advanced Photon Source housed at the U.S. Department of Energy's Argonne National Laboratory.

The team created a new class of ceramic materials that has three main benefits. First, it can produce a solar panel that is thinner than today's silicon-based market leaders by using one material to do the work of two. Second, it uses cheaper materials than those used in today's high-end thin-film solar panels. Third, the material is ferroelectric, which means it can switch polarity, a key trait for exceeding the theorized energy-efficiency limits of today's solar cell material.

...more here:
Designfax – Technology for OEM Design Engineers
Old 27-02-2014, 09:27   #94

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I have seen worse…..
LOL ! I once helped out a guy in Mexico who had 1200aH bank in his bilge (44' boat) with a solar array on the stern.
He said it had been installed by a guy in San Diego who "knows everything about electricity".
He couldn't figure out why his bank was at 10.5v. when he read 14.8v. on the panel (no regulator).
I pointed out his 22 gauge Radio Shack speaker wire used as solar feed...

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 20:24   #95

Boat: CS 40

he had only 14.8v at pannels

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
COLINFLTENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 07:49   #96

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

FYI... I just ordered a couple of Genasun controllers and since they are not field programable, I was able to get them programmed to custom settings for my Trojan batteries at the manufacturer.

The bulk/absorption was increased from the off-the-shelf 14.4/14.6 to the Trojan recommended 14.8 and the float was set to 13.2 from the 13.5 the Genasun is normally set to.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:02   #97

Boat: Islander 36

Just went with the Solar Stik. Amazing! Have had solar panels before, and they are nothing compared to this new set up. It's a transom mount unit. Also went with the Primus Air Breeze 160 on top. Here's a link to my review - includes bits about the installation, too. Always GO, never regret | Major upgrade: Solar Stik added to IP 27

Ceal
s/v Time Goes By
Island Packet 27
cealpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 13:26   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLINFLTENG View Post
he had only 14.8v at pannels

Smallish panel, under load from DEAD, BIG FLA bank.
This was a long time ago (1995) and that voltage was actually about in the middle of the aforementioned wiring at his monitor readout.
The voltage at the panel was about 18.

The guy told me he had "a steep learning curve ahead".
No kidding.

Mae West
Old 01-03-2014, 13:33   #99

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cealpotts View Post
Just went with the Solar Stik. Amazing! Have had solar panels before, and they are nothing compared to this new set up. It's a transom mount unit. Also went with the Primus Air Breeze 160 on top. Here's a link to my review - includes bits about the installation, too. Always GO, never regret | Major upgrade: Solar Stik added to IP 27

Ceal
s/v Time Goes By
Island Packet 27
$4000 MSRP for the solar stick would buy lots of Panels even if the were hot AND shaded.

Isn't the wind gen going to shade the panels at noon +- 2 hours?
Old 01-03-2014, 14:36   #100
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
$4000 MSRP for the solar stick would buy lots of Panels even if the were hot AND shaded.

Isn't the wind gen going to shade the panels at noon +- 2 hours?
Here it's in action: one panel already shaded and taken out of production:

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 14:52   #101

Boat: Alberg #0

Isn't that just operator error? Mast needs rotating into sun?
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 15:35   #102
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Just my two bob's worth.. Don't buy anything with a fan in it !!! I have 2 morning-star controllers and they work great AND silently. I have 3 300w semi flexible panels on a hard top and they are on aluminium backing . Great for heat dispersion and light. They are in series so my cable diameter is greatly reduced they come in at about 130v. I also have 3 85s on the davits run by another MPPT morning-star again in series. I have a lot more power than i need but hey its free.... My inverter has fans and i find it very annoying. So does my battery charger when in a marina...Just my opinion,,
Old 01-03-2014, 21:02   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here it's in action: one panel already shaded and taken out of production:

Made the same mistake in 1993.
Got wise in 1994 and chopped off the wind generator and pole above panels.

Got MORE power than before. DUH !

Mae West
Old 03-03-2014, 16:05   #104

Boat: Seawind 1160

Go as big as you can afford, In Aus I have heard everyone is going for 250watt panels are very cheap here now as everyone has them on their houses now. Making the whole solar market cheaper. being 24volt regulated down to 12 volt they seem to produce power even on cloudy day as they easily produce 12 volts on these dull days?
poppyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 16:58   #105

Boat: CS 40

I have two 250 watts ordered Canadian solar made in Canada eh

COLINFLTENG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar