Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2024, 14:14   #16

Re: Solar Disconnect & Alternator Interference

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I always put fuses between the controller and the battery, and I have blown them more than once.....
Maybe a bigger wire and a bigger fuse? Sounds like you are leaving amps on the table.
Old 18-05-2024, 23:24   #17

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

To Charlie J:
Here's the quote from my post regarding solar controller damage:
2) Victron says do NOT put any switches or fuses between the controller and the battery (you will find this warning in the manual). If you disconnect the controller from the battery for any reason while the panels are producing any output, you will damage the controller beyond any repair.
I also said:
3) Yes, good idea to have a fuse in the pos line from controller to panels to protect that wiring.
You will find what 3) Yes, good idea to have a fuse in the pos line from controller to panels to protect that wiring.

You'll find the citation on page 12 and 13 of the manual for the Blue Solar 70-10 which can download from the Victron website.

I have 3 different brand solar controllers and they ALL say do not disconnect the battery from controller when panels are producing output. With respect, why don't you give it a try with your own controller and let us know the result?
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2024, 00:36   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
To Charlie J:
2) Victron says do NOT put any switches or fuses between the controller and the battery (you will find this warning in the manual). If you disconnect the controller from the battery for any reason while the panels are producing any output, you will damage the controller beyond any repair.
I also said:
3) Yes, good idea to have a fuse in the pos line from controller to panels to protect that wiring.
You will find what 3) Yes, good idea to have a fuse in the pos line from controller to panels to protect that wiring.

You'll find the citation on page 12 and 13 of the manual for the Blue Solar 70-10 which can download from the Victron website.

I have 3 different brand solar controllers and they ALL say do not disconnect the battery from controller when panels are producing output. With respect, why don't you give it a try with your own controller and let us know the result?
I don't know what you have been smoking, but I find that the Victron manual clearly states the size of the fuse to put in the wire from the controller to the battery in Section 4.2 on Page 9.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2024, 01:10   #19

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I have a breaker between panels and controller. Comes in hand when I need to turn off the power. And yes when panels and engine are running after a few hours my tach will stop. They don’t play well together…. At least my last controller which was a Renogy 40 amp mppt. Just bought a 100/50 I stalled for this season. So i turn panels off when powering long distances1+ hours.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2024, 01:47   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
To Charlie J:

With respect, you are providing erroneous advice, please stop. Not only is your advice incorrect, it is potentially dangerous to suggest not having a fuse between the battery and solar charge controller (located close to the battery). But don't take my word for it, check the various Victron manuals e.g. page 4 of https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...R_DE_ES_SE.pdf

or page 11 and 14 of https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...ual-pdf-en.pdf

Screenshots attached.

Consider the worst case scenario.
1. Fuse fitted and blows - destroys solar charge controller
2. No fuse - fault in wiring (or controller) burns boat to the waterline

Me - I'll take my chances with #1 but never with #2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 6.41.37 pm.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	290047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 6.43.20 pm.png
Views:	14
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	290048  

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 07:04   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Gypsy View Post
Any comment based on experience on installing breaker switches on panel cables before controller? Good idea? Waste? Thanks.
You can't use any old breaker in a DC system, it MUST be a DC breaker. Breaker is a good on/off switch to disconnect panels before disconnecting bank from controller.

Section 4.2 of the Victron MPPT 100|50 manual states you MUST have a fuse between battery and controller.
4.2. Battery
The battery supply must be protected by a fuse as per the below table.
Solar charger type Minimum battery fuse rating Maximum battery fuse rating
MPPT 100/30 35A 40A
MPPT 100/50 55A 70A

Every connection to a battery should be fused. It -may- harm the controller if the fuse blows while the array is operating but even if it does it is better than risking a fire.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 07:26   #22
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

nuku34:
Quote:
2) Victron says do NOT put any switches or fuses between the controller and the battery (you will find this warning in the manual)
Please provide the citation for your assertion/interpretation. And while you are in the manual, read it closely and review the illustration.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 07:34   #23

Boat: McIntosh 47

Thanks everyone for your input. I have planned DC disconnects on both legs between panels and controller. I had planned a 40 amp fuse between Victron 100/50 controller and battery because I am only delivering 27 amps max but understand 70 amp fuse would be appropriate for full 50 amp output.

We are leaving boat so I can order and be home for delivery of the goodies in 3 days. Will keep you updated on install. Will post install to the popular solar picture string in this forum.

Thanks again,
Gone
Gone Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 12:08   #24

Boat: Catalina 34 MKII

Seems some of this forums contributors are dyslexic or just plain dumb! Read your manual and it clearly shows protection between the panels and controller, and the controller and batteries. I have 1-230 watt panel feeding through a 40A double pole breaker to a Victron 100/30 Smartsolar charge controller, which then feeds my LiFePo batteries via a 40A fuse. Depending on your panel setup,without the breaker or fuse upstream of the controller you could expose yourself to a high enough voltage to do yourself harm, or worse.
robbjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 05:53   #25

Hi All,
I did a major redo of my Bene 331 which had quite troublesome DC system. My observations:
-solar doesn’t interfere with my Balmar 120A alternator and 618 regulator- it pumps 90A onto batteries that are low on SOC no problem
- fusing is a must and do it if you want to be safe and alive
- I have a couple of switches that allow me to do solar’s parallel or in series but I found parallel more efficient most likely due to shading
mroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 07:02   #26

Boat: McIntosh 47

mroc,
I pushed the button and ordered. Order includes Y connectors for parallel so I can test series against parallel in my exact application. Not a switch like your setup for quick comparison, but capable. Victron in particular says series will deliver higher total energy when coupled with panels that have diodes. From my reading most cruisers - More than 80%, say parallel is the way to go. This number I think is weighted by lots of Bimini installs that have considerable shading. Our install is on davits with minimal shading using diode panels. We’ll see!
Gone Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 15:57   #27
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Gypsy View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I have planned DC disconnects on both legs between panels and controller. I had planned a 40 amp fuse between Victron 100/50 controller and battery because I am only delivering 27 amps max but understand 70 amp fuse would be appropriate for full 50 amp output.

We are leaving boat so I can order and be home for delivery of the goodies in 3 days. Will keep you updated on install. Will post install to the popular solar picture string in this forum.

Thanks again,
Gone
Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure the fuse between the solar controller and battery is placed as close as practicable to the battery end of the wire.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, enc, interference, solar