Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 18:12   #16

Boat: 48 Privilege - Full Monty
Why would you want to bring them inside or home? Are you worried about theft and/or hurricanes? Looking for full time live aboard and cruiser, with dependable panels for cold beer.
Surf City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 18:30   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Thanks for the comments and great suggestions. I don't have room for 2-225W versions, so that's out.

I'm leaning towards the 2x 135s for redundancy and a bit more power. I've got 8x 225AH 6V deep cycle batteries in the house and they're going to need to be fed. I tend to be a belt and suspender kind of sailor and I like the redundancy.

I'm working hard on getting the power requirements down, even if I have to take another job to pay for the LED lights, but I know I'll add stuff in the future and would like to have excess charge capacity rather than start off in the hole or on the edge.
Old 11-11-2010, 18:33   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Both of those are good reasons. If you know a 90+ mph storm is coming, it is just smart to take them down, and you want a safe place to keep them. Or, perhaps you are working on the systems of the boat, and need to take them down for a bit.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf City View Post
Why would you want to bring them inside or home? Are you worried about theft and/or hurricanes? Looking for full time live aboard and cruiser, with dependable panels for cold beer.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 00:30   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The cordless drill batteries take forever to recharge, plus camera batteries, computer, shaver, video camera, handheld VHF, Cell phone, vibrator, the list goes on.

Mark
Too much information Mark.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:22   #20

Boat: Oceanis 411
Quote:
computer, shaver, video camera, handheld VHF, Cell phone, vibrator,
What! Who uses a shaver?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:27   #21

I'd go with two panels. If something falls from above or something hits it from below breaking a panel you at least have some power generation from the remaining panel until you can get a replacement. I have two 75 watt Siemens panels for my 12 house system and two 60 watt 48 volt panels for the electric propulsion battery bank. I like the redundency.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:38   #22

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
I have three of the Kyocera 135s and am happy with them but have never calculated their total output under varying conditions. I'd highly recommend an MPPT controller. Weight and placement are not-trivial considerations.

Nigel Calder has an article in a recent "Sail" magazine regarding battery charging. Basically he says that more solar and wind power is better and less draw is better. I'm looking towards better insulation on my refrigeration systems and lots more LEDs.

Bill
Old 12-11-2010, 06:42   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I'm beginning to realize that high efficiency items (insulation, LED lights, power in moderation) is cheaper than more batteries, larger gensets, or more solar panels. And by keeping the maximum battery discharge level higher I think the batteries will last longer.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:42   #24

Boat: Beneteau 50
There are more coices out there than the 2 panels you mention. Is there any pair of solar panel bigger than 135s that you can fit?

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:29   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_douglas View Post
I'm working hard on getting the power requirements down, even if I have to take another job to pay for the LED lights, but I know I'll add stuff in the future and would like to have excess charge capacity rather than start off in the hole or on the edge.
I have two 130W panels, and find that they provide plenty of energy in the summer months at latitude 38 north, even when I'm running both a fridge and a freezer and running 12v fans all night. The two panels are not sufficient for the winter months, but that's why I have a 200W wind generator to back them up.

Regardless, 270 watts is a plenty of power for most cruising situations, assuming you're not going to try to run an air conditioner or a 60" flat screen TV.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:21   #26

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
There is a place in LA where you can get 50watt panels for $100. 100watts for $200. I got 8 of them but now I have to figure out how to mount them! Keep in mind I have a 27ft boat and I already have 2 115watt panels. With which I can power my boat at 1knt in full sun.

Hopefully with the additional panels, if I can aim all of them properly (very important) I should be able to achieve higher speeds and also ability to move fast in bursts and create apparent wind to amplify light winds, and quickly recharge large battery banks.

Eventual computer control will enable the motor to "kick-in" automatically to maintain boat speed when the wind slackens.

With this logic you should be considering about 12-15 135w panels :-P You wont have a problem runnign the fridge or ac either
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_E View Post
Nigel Calder has an article in a recent "Sail" magazine regarding battery charging. Basically he says that more solar and wind power is better and less draw is better.
Next he'll tell us that a balanced diet and regular exercise can keep someone healthy.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote