Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2017, 04:10   #1

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett
Solar meter

I have 2 - 100 watt panels and for some unknown reason they do not run thru the Link 10 shunt. (actually have looked and cant find it anywhere). What i want to know is ...is there a meter that I can install either prior to the controller or just after it that will tell me what my panels are putting out...please use the KISS principle with talking to me..."Keep It Simple Stupid".
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 04:25   #2

Re: Solar meter

Hello,

I've installed two 50w panels on my boat last year. I believe the brand was Renogy. So far the seem good (got them off of Amazon)

I know with my set up there was an option to plug in lcd displace screen into the MPPT charge controller. You can use the screen to see how much your battery's are charged. How much power is being put out my your solar panels. And I do believe if you set it up right you can total all your power use age on the boat. (I didn't set mine up to tally it yet, to to get the charge reading)

Here are a few pictures of my set up and the screen with information it shows. Click image for larger version

Name:	1487074885340.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	141222
The charge controller is the silver box on the right by the radar. And the lcd screen is on then left by the radio.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1487074994385.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	141224
Click image for larger version

Name:	1487075075026.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	141225

If I can help in any other way let me know,
Brandon.
902bouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 04:35   #3

Boat: Ontario32

We have a 130W panel on our boat and the Link10 monitor. We wired the solar source through the charge controller and direct to the battery bank. The Link10 can see the inputs from solar and wind sources.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 04:35   #4

Do you have a good mppt controller? Like above, the indicator screen should give you this info.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 04:38   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

The Link shunt should be installed on the negative side of your batteries without any other connections between the shunt and battery bank. If it's not it's installed wrong. I recommend you move it.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 06:28   #6

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I have a link 10 but we unable to find the shunt. It is suppose to be somewhere around the battery bank but as of yet we have not located it...I was hoping that maybe a separate meter would be easier to install.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 06:41   #7

Boat: Privilege 435

Based on the info you have supplied, I suspect that the negative on the panels has been wired directly to the batteries. The shunt from the Link 10 should be the first thing that comes off the negative lead from the battery. The shunt is just a small metal plate connecting two terminals and measures the current flowing across the metal plate. Therefore, everything that is happening downstream of the shunt gets measured by the monitor. If the negative side of the panels is wired directly to the battery, it bypasses the shunt and does not get recorded by the Link 10. It should be a fairly simple job to follow your negative lead from the battery until you find the shunt and then connect the solar negative to the downstream side of the shunt or any other common bus bar in the system. (P.S I'm no electrician so stand to be corrected on this)!
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 07:51   #8

Boat: Sabre 38

The shunt is one way, but let toss out another option.

The Victron 75/15 MPPT will handle those panels. It is only $90 on Ebay in the US. Get a cable or Bluetooth for between $25 and $50, and run Victron's Connect app (free) from your phone or computer. It will give you real time and historical data of your panels. Sell your current charge controller.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 08:29   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew of Turning View Post
We have a 130W panel on our boat and the Link10 monitor. We wired the solar source through the charge controller and direct to the battery bank. The Link10 can see the inputs from solar and wind sources.
Impossible. The shunt is connected between the battery bank and the charge controllers, if it weren't the solar and wind would not register on the Link 10
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 19:27   #10

fix the link 10 first
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 20:25   #11

Boat: Owner Builder

If what you want is to monitor the state of charge of you batteries ?
If so then I suggest you look at (Smartgauge) have a look on panbo.
It connects direct to the battery + - terminals.

NO SHUNT -ACCURATE readings - NO TUNNING ( as batteries age you need to adjust peurkets law ratio to maintain accurate readings therefore most gauges are inaccurate because peurkets is out of adjustment.( shunt type)

Smart gauge is accurate
Self tuning
Simple to install
Have had mine for 18 months changed battery bank & solar panels no problems
It just takes a few days to learn again.
I now can adjust the solar regulator to achieve 100% charge 90%of the time because I have battery data I can trust.

I have no interest financial or otherwise with the manufacturer I am just a satisfied customer
BriaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 10:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902bouy View Post
Hello,

I've installed two 50w panels on my boat last year. I believe the brand was Renogy. So far the seem good (got them off of Amazon)

I know with my set up there was an option to plug in lcd displace screen into the MPPT charge controller. You can use the screen to see how much your battery's are charged. How much power is being put out my your solar panels. And I do believe if you set it up right you can total all your power use age on the boat. (I didn't set mine up to tally it yet, to to get the charge reading)

Here are a few pictures of my set up and the screen with information it shows. Attachment 141222
The charge controller is the silver box on the right by the radar. And the lcd screen is on then left by the radio.
Attachment 141224
Attachment 141225

If I can help in any other way let me know,
Brandon.
Hi Brandon, came across this post and was wondering if you could help me. I am helping set up a solar powered electric boat and am using Mastervolt products. With the mastervolt chargemaster(controller) (Mastervolt SCM25 MPPT Solar ChargeMaster - 131902500) when I switch to state 5 (connected to the mastervolt MLi battery) the SOC icon disappears. Everything has been properly connected--just wondering if you have had any issues with SOC displays as well.

Thanks in advance!
Rebecca
ruples is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar