Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2023, 11:34   #1
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft
solar panel

has anyone tried the bougerv flexible solar panels?
look good on youtube but???
need to put a few solar panels on the hardtop to maintain the house (4, 8d lifelines) for a week or so at anchor. Only real draw is the refrigerator; air conditioners and stove/ oven require genset.
TW
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 01:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: solar panel

IDK about BougeRV panels, in particular.
Personally, I’d only use [any] flexible solar panel in portable use - NOT in fixed applications.
They’re only 2/3 as efficient [10% to 15% ], as rigid panels [15% to 22%], and have a [much?] shorter life-span [less durable, more susceptible to damage].
As a result, many flexible solar panels have a solar warranty of up to 5 years, compared to 25 years for a rigid panel.
The biggest advantage of flexible solar panels is that there are more mounting options, and they’re lighter than rigid panels.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:39   #3

What Gord says. While flexible can do the job, I would only use them if there is no other option.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 09:19   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBW View Post
has anyone tried the bougerv flexible solar panels?
look good on youtube but???
need to put a few solar panels on the hardtop to maintain the house (4, 8d lifelines) for a week or so at anchor. Only real draw is the refrigerator; air conditioners and stove/ oven require genset.
TW
Well I feel the flexible panels are just fine for your use. Yes they aren't as efficient and don't last as long, but for a temp system they are just fine. Once you add up what it takes in shipping and installation costs hard panels end up a lot more $$$$ than the flex panels.

I used you keep my boat on a mooring with the refrigerator on all the time and a 290W hard panel kept the batteries charged in the NE US.
Old 10-11-2023, 23:12   #5

Personally, I would only choose to install flexible solar panels if I need to frequently walk in that area. Flexible panels are useful when deck space is limited, but this is the only advantage they ever offered me.
Theo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2023, 04:13   #6

One boat I considered buying had 4 flexible panels installed on the bimini... one flew away and fell in the sea, two shattered and only one was working. As mentioned above, this approach is suspect.
svtickles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar