Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2009, 12:38   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Solar Panel Installation finished........

I just posted pictures of my recently completed solar panel installation (photo gallery/solar panel installation). The two panels are kyocera 130s hooked to a Outback Flexmax 80 Charge Controller. The panels and mounts were purchased through emarine and the controller off EBay. The history function on the controller shows I am getting about 50amps/day. This is enough to leave the refrigerator and freezer on when we are away from the boat.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 13:37   #2

50amp/hours per day? I would have thought you'd get more than that from 260 Watts. That's less than 3 hours at full output. Your batteries might be fully charged and the regulator is limiting the input.

Did you wire the panels in series? I'm probably going to get the Outback as well, and intend to wire the 4 panels series/parrallel to deliver 24 volts, allowing the Outback to step it down to 12.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 13:40   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
50amp/hours per day? I would have thought you'd get more than that from 260 Watts. That's less than 3 hours at full output. Your batteries might be fully charged and the regulator is limiting the input.
Shade also comes to mind.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 13:46   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

I am having a bit of trouble working out what is going on in the picture

I just read your installation thread talking about swivel mountings on the rail - are they off the stern or starboard side? - and if the latter what do you do with them on passage? fold them up or unbolt and store onboard?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 19:31   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
44cruisingcat, you are correct about the output. I like to keep my batteries in the 70-90% charged range so the solar panel output is not often at max. I have seen 11+ amps as the highest output and 61 amps as the highest daily total output. I have a 24V system so the panels are wired in series.
David Old Jersey, the panels are mounted on the starboard side (sunny side in the caribbean, at anchor) on SS tubing that replaced the lifelines at the aft starboard quarter. The are mounted such that the can be swiveled down. They can be left out on passage as I have had the boat heeled over more than I would like with the panels quite far away from the water. A stern mount would be the way to go, if I could stand the sight of an SS tower, because then the panels would not have to be lowered around docks and the sun angle throughout the day when sailing would be better.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 01:45   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
David Old Jersey, the panels are mounted on the starboard side (sunny side in the caribbean, at anchor) on SS tubing that replaced the lifelines at the aft starboard quarter. The are mounted such that the can be swiveled down. They can be left out on passage as I have had the boat heeled over more than I would like with the panels quite far away from the water. A stern mount would be the way to go, if I could stand the sight of an SS tower, because then the panels would not have to be lowered around docks and the sun angle throughout the day when sailing would be better.
Interesting, replacing the lifelines with SS tubing was on the agenda already (I just prefer it).......but I had not thought of using them to also support solar panels. Being 30' I have certain space restrictions both on deck and on the stern (I was thinking davits for at least 1 panel - but not overly keen).....my main concern with fitting them starboard would be from damage - either when docking or on passage, both when in position or swivelled down. maybe my answer would be also removable........

But certainly something for me to mull over. Thanks for that
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation