Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 05:02   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Solar Panel Output verse rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I think one useful data point is the absolute maximium you have recorded from the panels.

What is the best you have seen?
I just looked though the controller history and over the past 30 days the max power was 240W. The average is 180-200W. I never really monitored the power the past 5 years so maybe that is all it even has done.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:10   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
This output is a little low.
No it's not. See post #12.

Quote:
You should record resonably close to the rated output in ideal solar conditions especially if you angle the panels to the perfect orientation. Even a little over the rated output is possible.

What is the best you have seen?
A maximum solar azimuth of 48° is far from ideal solar conditions.
Does the OP has tiltable panels?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:15   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I just looked though the controller history and over the past 30 days the max power was 240W. The average is 180-200W. I never really monitored the power the past 5 years so maybe that is all it even has done.
240W is 83% of rated output. That's very good for this time of year at your latitude.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:17   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
I just looked though the controller history and over the past 30 days the max power was 240W.
That is not dreadful, but it is lower than I would expect if everything was functioning well.

The first step is to measure the voltage drop. This will show up any bad connections and defective components like circuit breakers and switches that can sometimes develop high resistance in the salty atmosphere.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:27   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
No it's not. See post #12.
Yes, I agree Stu. The output is more reasonable, if the panels cannot be tilted, for a location at 26°N. I thought Sailorboy's position was closer to the equator.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:14   #21

Boat: Island Packet 32

Quote:
I'm been watching my solar panel output the last few days. I'm currently in Palm Beach getting lots of sun. But in the middle of the day with my 5 year old 290W panel with a MPPT controller in full sun is only putting out 170-180W and I know the batteries aren't limiting it to that amount.

What are others experience in real output verse rating?
The batteries are always limiting the charge current depending on their voltage. You will get a lot more output at 12.2 than you will at 12.5. Check out this calculator. Amps to watts (W) conversion calculator
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:24   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
The batteries are always limiting the charge current depending on their voltage. You will get a lot more output at 12.2 than you will at 12.5. Check out this calculator. Amps to watts (W) conversion calculator
With an MPPT regulator you will get more current (amps) if the battery voltage is 12.2v rather than 12.5v but not more watts. Sailorboy is talking about the output in watts.

It is important to ensure, when checking the solar panel output, that the controller is not in regulation. This will only happen at much higher battery voltages than 12.5v and Sailorboy has stated this was not a factor in his measurments.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:48   #23

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Even at close to optimized angle my panels only produce about half of rating. What kind of load is used I the rating process? Might it be into a dead short?
.....................................don't believe everything you think...................................
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:01   #24

Being a person that helps maintain remote solar powered scientific instrumentation there are several factors that limit the output from the panels as time goes on.
First you have to understand is in my experience solar panels pretty much reach the end of their useful life after about 10 to 15 years. The reasons for this come down to;
#1 corrosion within the panel and wiring and
#2 UV damage to the surface of the panel elements in the form of oxidation.
#3 Temperature plays a big factor in how the panels perform. In the desert when the temperature get over 100 degrees F surface temperatures on the surface of solar panels can be as high as 400 degrees dropping the output from the panels to near zero. The cycling of temperature from hot to cold causes the panel elements to expand and shrink. this action tear's apart the elements adding to the breakdown of the panel.
As these three factors start acting on your panels slowly the output of the panels will diminish to the point that they are pretty useless and will have to be replaced.
Solar panel companies love to say that the panels will last for 20 years which they will but for all practical purposes 10 to 15 years is about it.

in a marine environment, if you are trying to get the most life possible out of your panels every so often go through and clean the corrosion off the wiring connections on a regular schedule and inspect the panels for damage since corrosion will be you biggest threat.
I hope this was useful
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:56   #25

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Testing single panels without a controller I always get to within 95% of the rated output.

The main limiters: the batteries (if not discharged), the controller (if too primitive or faulty), the wires (if too small or corroded), the panels (if faulty, non-angled, shaded or otherwise compromised), the Sun (if overcast, low or otherwise compromised).

Cheers,
b.
Testing single panels is best done by shorting the output and measuring Isc. That way you eliminate all of the battery/wiring/controller issues. You still should align the panel perpendicular to the sun, or account for the angle by using the cosine of it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:11   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 409

I use the most efficient solar panels on the market (Solara).

I have 700w total and often see 500+ watts in Florida with no clouds and no shading from my mast.

The most I've ever seen was 13 days ago @ 691w. That was on a colder sunny day.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:15   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't have any corrosion and the 8 awg wiring to the panel and 6 awg from the panel iis way oversized as I sized it for 2 panels
Old 05-02-2017, 13:50   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
He's talking about how many Watts he is seeing out of his solar panels, not how many Amps are going into his batteries! He will get the same regardless of terminal voltage.

And who needs an online calculator to divide one number by another?
Old 05-02-2017, 13:56   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
Even at close to optimized angle my panels only produce about half of rating. What kind of load is used I the rating process? Might it be into a dead short?
.....................................don't believe everything you think...................................
You need to look at your siting, wiring and other components of your system.
Something is wrong.
At "optimized angle" any panel should be capable of producing close to their rating.
Old 05-02-2017, 14:37   #30

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

If I recall correctly, I saw a recent "non-marine" related "scientific" article that suggested panels lose ~2 - 4% of their rated capacity yearly, at least in part due to corrosion (of the panel electrical connections between or in the cells themselves, or even the plastic or glass(clarity?), I have no idea. Also I have long had the belief (no idea why) that panels were rated on theoretical, not actual, output.

Tags
solar