Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 15:01   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: solar panel sizing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
The 2 different panel types must be on different controllers since they output differnent voltages.. you must use 2 controllers or will have very, very poor performance.
They don't output different voltages, they output nearly the same voltage even though one set is 100W and the other is 175W. They are both 36-cell panels with monocrystalline cells and thus have a nominal 0.5V/cell Vmp.

As noted above, the newer panels are about 1.4V higher Vmp than the old panels, but because of the nature of the I-V curve the loss in production will not be greater than 1.4/19.4=7%. Actual loss will be a bit less because when the voltage drops below Vmp the current increases (slightly).

The knee of the I-V curve is fairly broad on decreasing voltage side, for 36-cell panels operating 1V lower than Vmp will result in very little loss of power production. For a 60- or 72-cell panel this widens to about 2V. Going the other way, operating above Vmp the current dropoff is very steep and power production goes way down immediately.

Here's a typical I-V curve for a 12V (nominal) panel - probably 32-cell.

At Vmp the power is 42.75W (17.1x2.5), at 16V it is ~42.35W (16.1x2.63), A loss of 1% in power production even though the voltage drop was 5.8%.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 15:24   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I would put a small MPPT controller on each panel rather than 1 big controller.
A. Redundancy
B. Better production: Any shading or overheating of 1 panel will not drag the production by all the panels down or half the panels if you go with 2 big controllers.

The Victron 100/50 is $320 OR $295 (Smart vs Blue).
The Victron 75/15 is 114 x 4 = $456 OR $88 x 4 = $352.
To me doing so will cost modestly more in wiring and slightly more in controllers.

Also, at about $100, bringing a (5th) spare controller becomes conceivable.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 20:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wouldn't you get a similar amount of power of out a pair of SPM 175s from Victron? then sell the 100s off. Also you could get away with two smaller chargers which will be cheaper than 2 x 150 MPPTs.

If you have the room then stepping up to the SPM042152400 raises the voltage much higher with more cells so thinner wire and again small chargers.

I went for a single 60 cell 300w panel to keep it simple.

Pete
When deciding on panels I also went with only one (260W in my case). Lower parts count increases reliability. The engine alternator is the backup charging system.
Shoalbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:26   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I don’t believe the smart battery sense unit is needed if using the Smartsolar moot range
Old 12-11-2020, 03:39   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I don’t believe the smart battery sense unit is needed if using the Smartsolar moot range
The Smartsolar MPPT controllers have built-in Bluetooth so you may reasonably expect these to communicate and synchronise with other Smartsolar controllers within range. Unfortunately they cannot do this.

To form a network, additional hardware is needed and the Victron Smartbattery sense is the cheapest and easiest way of accomplishing this.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:05   #21

Boat: O'Day 34

I just ordered a Victron Smart Sense last night and I'm wondering where to install it as my battery bank is located in 2 adjacent but different locations.
I have 6-105 ah AGMs located under the quarter berth and an additional 2-105 ah AGMs located in the engine compartment. While underway the temperature in these two compartments will differ greatly but most of our solar charging is done at anchor.
So...should I monitor the battery temperature in the engine compartment or under the quarterberth?
thanks for your opinions in advance,
Bill in JB
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:20   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
So...should I monitor the battery temperature in the engine compartment or under the quarterberth?
thanks for your opinions in advance,
Bill in JB
There is no perfect solution, but it would be better to use the higher temperature so I would put the Smart Sense on the batteries in the engine compartment.

Keep in mind that the Bluetooth range on the Smart Sense is not great, even with the newer “long range” blue module so check the communication between the solar controllers and Smart Sense is reliable in the chosen location before permanently sticking the unit onto the batteries.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:46   #23

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There is no perfect solution, but it would be better to use the higher temperature so I would put the Smart Sense on the batteries in the engine compartment.

Keep in mind that the Bluetooth range on the Smart Sense is not great, even with the newer “long range” blue module so check the communication between the solar controllers and Smart Sense is reliable in the chosen location before permanently sticking the unit onto the batteries.
Thanks, that is exactly what I was thinking. The range from the Smart Sense to the Victron controllers is only about 4 feet.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:56   #24
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
variants of this questions are asked regularly , so bear with m

e I have 2x Victron SPM100-12 panels , nominal 12v 100w panels, was going to replace them with SPM041751200 , 170 watt , 12V nominal

But I can fit all four

So I was thinking of two parallel strings of a 100W and a 170W and a MPPT 100/50 controller

shading isnt in general a big issue , as the panels are clear of the bimini etc , I could split the two series strings into sperate controllers

any comments ( boat is 12V )
I installed 4x140 panels in 2015 with a single controller for each pair with each pair going to a separate 8D Gel house battery...I have not had a problem. I suggest you put a single controller on the 100s and a separate controller for the 170s. Any future upgrade would be done via the pairs already established.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:04   #25
Nearly an old salt

Strangely that contradicts what Victron themselves said. Why would a simple voltage /temp unit be needed to enable synchronised charging ?
Old 12-11-2020, 12:05   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Strangely that contradicts what Victron themselves said. Why would a simple voltage /temp unit be needed to enable synchronised charging ?
My understanding is that a “hub” or central device is needed to set up the synchronisation between the Smartsolar controllers. The Smart battery sense is one device that can function as this hub.

It is always possible I have this wrong, but I have owned and used 3 Victon Smartsolar MPPT controllers for a couple of years and the charging state was definitely not linked or synchronised before installing the Smart battery monitor.

I cannot find any information from Victron that indicates that synchronisation is possible with multiple Smartsolar controllers alone, without any additional hardware. Nor is there any information on how this can be set up if it is possible. Victron do explain in detail how this can be done once the Smart battery sense is installed.

Could you possibly post a link to where Victron has indicated this is possible? It would be great if owners of Smartsolar controllers can achieve synchronisation of the charge state without purchasing any extra hardware.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:24   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This link on the Victron forum provides some insight, although this may be wrong or out of date:

https://community.victronenergy.com/...ncronized.html

The answer given is:

“No, only if you use a Smart Battery Sense, or a BMV networked to your battery.”
Old 13-11-2020, 02:36   #28
Nearly an old salt

Well the smart battery sense only aids the process in that it discount voltage drops in the mppt to battery cables , which you can easily mitigate

Here’s the answer from the Victron community

“Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA answered · 10 hours ago EXPERT ANSWEREXPERT ANSWER
Hi @goboatingnow , welcome to the Community!

A Smart Battery Sense, SmartShunt, or BMV-712 is only required should you want the chargers to take into account battery voltage, temperature, and/or current (in the case of a SmartShunt or BMV-712) and is advised but not necessary. For basic synchronized charging, you don't need any additional hardware - just create a VE.Smart Network while connected to one MPPT, then connect to the other and click "join VE.Smart Network" and select the network that you set up through the first controller, and you're done!

As noted in the manual, it is critically important to ensure that both controllers have the same battery settings.”
Old 13-11-2020, 03:44   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here’s the answer from the Victron community

“Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA answered · 10 hours ago EXPERT ANSWEREXPERT ANSWER
Hi @goboatingnow , welcome to the Community!

A Smart Battery Sense, SmartShunt, or BMV-712 is only required should you want the chargers to take into account battery voltage, temperature, and/or current (in the case of a SmartShunt or BMV-712) and is advised but not necessary. For basic synchronized charging, you don't need any additional hardware - just create a VE.Smart Network while connected to one MPPT, then connect to the other and click "join VE.Smart Network" and select the network that you set up through the first controller, and you're done!
Thanks for that.

It certainly looks like it is possible exactly as you indicated.

Victron have lots of software updates and I suspect this capability has been added in one of these updates. That is a great feature of Victron controllers. The software updates have significantly improved the controllers‘ charge algorithm and adjustability compared to the units I purchased a couple of years ago.

Has anyone enabled this synchronisation with just the controllers themselves? It would be nice to know exactly what is meant by “basic” synchronised charging. Hopefully that means the controllers will jump to the same charge state. Without the smart battery sense for a single voltage reference, presumably the voltage of one solar controller is used as the reference.
Old 13-11-2020, 04:23   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If anyone is checking, it is this “synchronised charging” indication that you are looking for:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99C42626-D14D-44EF-879C-AA842B123EA0.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	226845  

Tags
solar