Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2022, 16:51   #1

Solar panel with nighttime power generation

Sounds fantastic doesn't it? But Stanford claims to have made it happen. Interesting reading and I wonder where this will lead.

The device achieved 50 mW/m2 of power generation with a clear night sky and an open-circuit voltage of 100mV, which the scientists described as significantly higher than the values achieved in previous demonstration.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2022/04/...tion-at-night/
Endless time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 17:15   #2

Re: Solar panel with nighttime power generation

Interesting stuff. There is so much coming up in the next few years. Some big breakthroughs to come in battery and solar technologies.

Thanks for sharing.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 17:29   #3

Boat: Bateau FS17

so 1200 square meters can power an old school 60watt bulb?
Please check my math..... Even with new LEDs and efficient electronics, there are not a lot of applications YET, but it is nice to see progress being made, for sure.
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The paper:

“Nighttime electric power generation at a density of 50 mW/m2 via radiative cooling of a photovoltaic cell” ~ by Sid Assawaworrarit, Zunaid Omair, and Shanhui Fan
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0085205
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/5.0085205

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:20   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Ultraviolet photovoltaics have existed for some time. They are most active during circadian light.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:42   #6

I using 2 different small panels to run some remote electronics. One is 19$ the other 30$ One claims life span of 3 years the more expensive 7. The device runs on 3.5V has its own wifi and solar charging circuit and a 1200mA battery. The sensors attached proved to consume too much for the demand so I need to up the panel size.
Compared to panels 20 years ago they are astounding. LEDS we can thank the automotive and traffic light industry for the growing pains.
While the industry has been overwhelmed with Chinese junk the true winner in sustainable LED is Samsung from Korea.
Cree deserted USA for production in China and the product quality dropped.
I separate fact from fiction in LED Lithium Batteries Wikipedia opinions by country of origin.
Samsung have amazing grow lights. I believe 5 tunes to specific frequencies. One kills tomato caterpillars. Some other nut was selling LED grow lights with red and blue diodes 6 times the wattage with 20% the benefit.
I’ve notice the same bull in batteries. Some are a plastic bucket with Chinese cells added. Fortunately trade tariffs protect us from fraudulent products and uncertified batteries don’t make it past customs.
Great tech - buyer beware
Old 08-04-2022, 07:10   #7

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

This article says that the maximum power for nighttime radiative cooling under optimal conditions is > 2 W/m^2.

So this will have limited use, powering small power consumers.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:31   #8

Boat: Roberts 45

The radiation is just not there at night, no matter how efficient the panels are.
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:23   #9

You’re kinda missing the whole point of an ultra violet photovoltaic. The best solar panel perform in direct sunlight. Early morning zip but with a UV the blue Circadian light jumps the dial. It’s more like an all season tire than a winter tire.
Expecting revelations at night with moon light is not the ambition. It’s to extend the useful hours of generation in to the Circadian light
Old 11-04-2022, 10:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
You’re kinda missing the whole point of an ultra violet photovoltaic. The best solar panel perform in direct sunlight. Early morning zip but with a UV the blue Circadian light jumps the dial. It’s more like an all season tire than a winter tire.
Expecting revelations at night with moon light is not the ambition. It’s to extend the useful hours of generation in to the Circadian light
Did you read the article? Or are you proposing something completely different than what the article was about?
Old 12-04-2022, 10:33   #11

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
You should read the whole article.
It's not using ultraviolet light at all but, The nighttime cooling effect to generate power, as well extra heat in daytime use.

"The solar cell is based on a thermoelectric generator (TEG) module that extracts power from the radiative cooler at night and extra daytime power from excess heating coming from the cell itself."

And, not much.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:35   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

On a clear full moon night and my 2 LED anchor lights that are mounted to the sides and a little above my solar panels so they reflect I get a small amount of solar power.

Nothing to be excited about, but almost enough for the anchor lights power. But I find it amusing when it happens.
Old 12-04-2022, 13:02   #13

My bad the antique theory of solar as heat exchangers couldn’t make me finish it.

Ultraviolets hit 7 % on 2 panels about 2 on the other with Jupiter and the moon 1/2.
It takes advantage of refracted light bouncing around the atmosphere. The moon and Jupiter were likely doing nothing.
We’ve also tried linear lensing and prismatic lensing to increase the surface area light can hit.
Old 12-04-2022, 13:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
On a clear full moon night and my 2 LED anchor lights that are mounted to the sides and a little above my solar panels so they reflect I get a small amount of solar power.

Nothing to be excited about, but almost enough for the anchor lights power. But I find it amusing when it happens.
You've done it! The perpetual motion machine!
Old 13-04-2022, 02:08   #15

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Not sure who you are accusing of "missing the point"...

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar