Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 04:05   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Solar panels milky

Last year we installed four Solbian SP130 panels on custom arch over our Simpson Davits. Worked like a dream. Sailed the Caribbean for the winter and then left the boat in Trinidad for the summer, returning this January. The boat was tented but the panels were left uncovered to float the batteries. Which they did perfectly.

But we have noticed that the panels have changed from their original gloss black to a faintly yellowed (on the white bits) and milky (on the black parts) appearance. The milky film does not wash off or rub off with a little elbow grease which makes us think it is a change in the top transparent surface of the panels.

Has anyone else seen this? Does it reduce the panel efficiency? Is there anything to remedy (like the same coating that revives scratched or opaque dodger plastic windows).
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:42   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Solar panels milky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
Last year we installed four Solbian SP130 panels on custom arch over our Simpson Davits. Worked like a dream. Sailed the Caribbean for the winter and then left the boat in Trinidad for the summer, returning this January. The boat was tented but the panels were left uncovered to float the batteries. Which they did perfectly.

But we have noticed that the panels have changed from their original gloss black to a faintly yellowed (on the white bits) and milky (on the black parts) appearance. The milky film does not wash off or rub off with a little elbow grease which makes us think it is a change in the top transparent surface of the panels.

Has anyone else seen this? Does it reduce the panel efficiency? Is there anything to remedy (like the same coating that revives scratched or opaque dodger plastic windows).
It will probable be the protective coating layer. ETFE coatings rather than the older PET ones shouldn't yellow. Though that being said the ETFE layer on some of my panels became delaminated giving an opaque appearance. The only way to fix it is to peel it off, and loose the protection.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:50   #3

solbian should have a good warranty. I would talk to them.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

if still under warranty contact the manufacturer if out of warranty I use nu finish car polish restorer .
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nu-Finish...16-fl-oz/3975?

Used it on a couple of old grape solar 100 watt panels and gained almost a full watt output back .
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 18:11   #5

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet

Hobiehobie,

Drop us a line, to info@oceanplanetenergy.com. Let us know where you purchased the panels, the serial numbers, and include some pics of the fogging/fading. Solbian had some bad luck with materials suppliers for some production runs, and they are generally quick to approve warranty replacements to keep Solbian clients happy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:18   #6

Thanks for your thoughts. I got the following from Sorbian in Italy. Happy that they replied with an answer. I will try what they suggest:

The panels need normal and periodic cleaning with simple neutral soap and water. Even if they are a little opaque, there should be no efficiency problems.

Sometimes, if excessively dirty after a long period that have not been cleaned or the panels really suffered some very harsh environment, it may be necessary to use a product for polishing and removing scratches. The product you can use is a product for marine or automotive trasparent plastics (3M, Novus) applied by hand or with a polishing machine.

Try manually first. If the result is not satisfactory you can use a car polisher as https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=537&dpr=1

Choose a polish for car and use the polisher at low velocity to avoid heating the plastic and with low pressure. Try it before in a small portion of the panels.

Please, avoid to press the panels with knees while doing the polishing, or wear knee pads https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....GL._SX355_.jpg

If the result is good I would suggest to use plastic protective from time to time, as for example, Rejex (RejeX® - Official Site), to keep the surface clean.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. I got the following from Sorbian in Italy. Happy that they replied with an answer. I will try what they suggest:

The panels need normal and periodic cleaning with simple neutral soap and water. Even if they are a little opaque, there should be no efficiency problems.

Sometimes, if excessively dirty after a long period that have not been cleaned or the panels really suffered some very harsh environment, it may be necessary to use a product for polishing and removing scratches. The product you can use is a product for marine or automotive trasparent plastics (3M, Novus) applied by hand or with a polishing machine.

Try manually first. If the result is not satisfactory you can use a car polisher as https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=537&dpr=1

Choose a polish for car and use the polisher at low velocity to avoid heating the plastic and with low pressure. Try it before in a small portion of the panels.

Please, avoid to press the panels with knees while doing the polishing, or wear knee pads https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....GL._SX355_.jpg

If the result is good I would suggest to use plastic protective from time to time, as for example, Rejex (RejeX® - Official Site), to keep the surface clean.
excellent info thanks for posting it .
Also glad to hear they got back to you .
Old 09-02-2020, 11:27   #8

Quote:

That may do it. However, send us pics if you get a chance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-02-2020, 11:29   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanPlanet View Post
That may do it. However, send us pics if you get a chance.
great idea but I would say to post the pictures here for general information as well .
This is an issue that many of us suffer from time to time .
Old 09-02-2020, 11:50   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I also know of experience where panels were ruined by aggressive polishing. Vibration and excessive force can cause microscopic cracking of the wafer, which is no flexible. Google "micro-cracking silicon."

On the average, I suspect very gentle cleaning and waxing is the best compromise. It will take too much vigor to buff out fogged plastic, since the damamge is most likely more than skin deep. Re-read the first and most important paragraph from Solbien.

Proceed very carefully. The fogging is mostly just cosmetic.
Old 24-06-2020, 05:09   #11

We did use hand-applied and buffed clear plastic cleaner. It certainly made the panels shiny but did nothing to change the milky appearance. If this is not affecting the efficiency of the panels we can live with it, but somehow I can't see how it's not cutting down on at least some sunlight penetration to the cells. Pics post polishing are enclosed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2292.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	218014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2293.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	218015  

Old 24-06-2020, 06:10   #12

Quote:
We did use hand-applied and buffed clear plastic cleaner. It certainly made the panels shiny but did nothing to change the milky appearance. If this is not affecting the efficiency of the panels we can live with it, but somehow I can't see how it's not cutting down on at least some sunlight penetration to the cells. Pics post polishing are enclosed.
Hmm...disappointing results (cosmetically at least). Where is the boat now? Is there any chance you could get the panels to us (in Maine) to check out? If you get a chance, perhaps send us a note directly to us from the website.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-06-2020, 06:44   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanPlanet View Post
Hmm...disappointing results (cosmetically at least). Where is the boat now? Is there any chance you could get the panels to us (in Maine) to check out? If you get a chance, perhaps send us a note directly to us from the website.
That's nice you to get involved and help out another forum member, thanks
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels