Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 09:27   #16

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: Solar powered vents - Nicro

From Bassears:
In future I would not buy another of these, they just fail too often. I plan on buying regular mushroom vents (that are closable) and then rig with a computer fan or something like that that runs off the house batteries, then it will be silent and will run all the time.

This is what we have done with great success so far. (knock wood)

Walmart sells the fans for between US$6-8.00. The mushroom vent is adjustable so we can crank it down until it's almost closed in rainy season.

This is the end of year 2 with this system and no glitches ...yet.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:27   #17

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

The Marinco models are now discontinued.

Worst, they have a different product, but requires that thru-deck hole to be 3.5" versus the old one that was 4".

I think I will go back with the old style cows head.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:34   #18

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I purchased a 4” Marinco from West, and it worked for a week, then the fan blades began hitting on the frame. I returned it and they gave me a new one, it did the same thing so I contacted Marinco and the sent me another one, did the same thing, so I very carefully took it apart and turned the fan blade over and problem solved. Better anyway because on that model the fan is not reversible and I wanted it to blow out, not in. Now only issue is it doesn’t run all night and it will not restart unless you manually turn it off and turn it back on again. Problem because I only get to the boat once or twice a week. Very disappointed with the quality for the price.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:55   #19

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Fitted two in 03 still working today but new batteries fitted
Old 06-12-2018, 13:19   #20

In reply to ferrailleur, yes there are 12 volt dc fans. Also 24 volt dc and also 110 volt ac fans. You just have to look at the labels, our local reclaimed electronics store has hundreds of these fans on the shelves.
PEACETIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 14:14   #21

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I've had 2 of them on my boat for 20 years and aside from replacing the rechargeable batteries and cleaning the contacts they have worked fine. Only problem is one of them leaked because it was mounted on a curved cabin top. Had to use very large "O" rings to seal.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 14:18   #22

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I worry about these fans if the deck was awash as I think they'd allow large amounts of water in. I fixed that problem by fitting an oversize inspection hatch directly below it. (I've also done the same under each dorade ventilator)

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 17:16   #23

Boat: Byliner 3258

I have two of these units in my boat. These units are 17 or 18 years old and are still working, I must be lucky or its the clean air in Canada!
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 18:56   #24

I fear that this is another example of a well regarded manufacturer switching to Asian manufacturing. I had these on my boat 20 years ago and they never failed. The boat is long since sold - I bet they are still working. Recently purchased ones on my new boat failed.

So I also switched to computer fans in fixed vents but found that many were crap - failing or getting noisy in a year. I now only buy Noctua fans (Austrian company). They are very quiet, seem to move more air for a given size, and I've yet to have one fail. 6 year warranty and 150,000 hours MTTF (17 years 24 hours a day). While not meant for it, they also don't seem to be bothered by salt laden air, fog, and the occasional slight splash of salt water when used as an intake fan. I've used the 80mm size the most but they come in lots of sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-R8-...80mm+fan&psc=1
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:21   #25

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvictorlucas View Post
Years ago these were good and lasted for years then they changed the design or supplier. They used too easily last 10 years with just changing the battery every year. The ones currently usually fail within a year. Unless you can find some old stock do not buy them.
I must have one of the older design in the forward head - very happy with it. Think I got it about 1999 and it still works fine. I replaced the NiCad with a standard battery and that works just fine for a year or so, then replace battery again and good for another year. Runs all night and day.

Been wanting to install another one in the aft head - unless there is another brand that will fit, I guess I will find out if the newer Nicro design/supplier is as good as the old.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:29   #26

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
I purchased a 4” Marinco from West, and it worked for a week, then the fan blades began hitting on the frame. I returned it and they gave me a new one, it did the same thing so I contacted Marinco and the sent me another one, did the same thing, so I very carefully took it apart and turned the fan blade over and problem solved. Better anyway because on that model the fan is not reversible and I wanted it to blow out, not in. Now only issue is it doesn’t run all night and it will not restart unless you manually turn it off and turn it back on again. Problem because I only get to the boat once or twice a week. Very disappointed with the quality for the price.
Ventilation fans should normally blow out, not in. Marinco or the assemblers got it backwards and with those other design 'features' you described, it's just crap. Wonder if they ever do any real world 'Beta' testing with actual users before releasing to market.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:53   #27

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Ventilation fans should normally blow out, not in. Marinco or the assemblers got it backwards and with those other design 'features' you described, it's just crap. Wonder if they ever do any real world 'Beta' testing with actual users before releasing to market.
The marinco do come with both an 'in' and 'out' fan.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:55   #28

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I now only buy Noctua fans (Austrian company).

+1 for Noctua if you're going to buy computer fans. They have a very wide range of sizes and decibel levels and do seem to run forever. We have two that run 24/7 in brackets in our pilothouse windows and they really help with keeping the boat dry and fresh, and they've been going for 3+ years without a problem. We also use two other much higher CFM fans to keep air moving around when we're not there (too loud to run when we're on board) and they're Noctua as well and just run and run and run.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:34   #29

Boat: Seidelmann 299 30

I have had mine for 12 years and they don't miss a beat. One intake (Galley) and one exhaust (head)
Keep boat free of mold and moisture all year round.
louisstubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:33   #30

I installed a 12volt computer fan from an electrical surplus supply store in the overhead lining of the head leading to a vent (with a Home Depot covering grill) when we were doing some day-chartering on our catamaran. I wired it into the overhead light circuit, just like a home bathroom. It worked for about ten years with this occasional use, including when we went voyaging for three years.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar