Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 14:28   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Solar price incease

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
Pete, we have our boat in the Solent - any places you'd suggest to get some of those "cheap" 250-300W panels?
Sure, I bought from e bay because they offered delivery for £45. This was a concern because a big panel could be very easy to damage, particularly by a courier paid minimum wage. This turned up in a sturdy cardboard container with a piece of plywood inside to protect the glass side. Really didn't want to drive up and back with a panel that size on the car roof in the weather we have had recently.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300w-Delt...4AAOSwd7RdZFeF

The other options are Gumtree and Facebook marketplace.

https://www.gumtree.com/search?featu...arch_location=

Worth noting that the large solar panels have a double walled edge to them, clearly for strength. However, that made bolting them down a bit more tricky because there isn't a lot of the underside of the frame left compared to smaller 150w panels. If you bolt through the side then that should be fine.

Nobstass.123 is actually Steve who normally deals with the trade from Oxford, but sells to the public through e bay etc. The Oxford business shows up if you Google Oxford and solar etc.

Answered my questions quickly and buying through e bay some protection for the buyer. These sized panels were alot more last summer but who buys solar in February in the UK?

Edit,the Bimble prices look even lower than I paid in Dec for an early Jan delivery. If I had a choice again, whilst the black looks great, we did scratch it by rubbing against the back stay when fitting. Therefore the plain aluminium finish might be better.

Quality looks okay and the wiring box sturdy and well soldered connections. I will wire it up next weekend, finger crossed, 18kg was a pain to get on the top of the a frame and hold still enough to bolt on.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, price, solar