Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 08:04   #1

Boat: Beneteau 423
Solar price incease

I've had a Renogy 300 Watt Solar Kit in my Amazon cart for a few weeks and the price almost doubled yesterday. I wasn't planning on ordering until this summer using Amazon Points. I wonder if this increase is supply chain jitters from the Corona Virus? This is the kit of anyone has any comments. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015DFMTS2
ns423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:23   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Solar price incease

Reasonable assumption....supply chain worldwide is impacted...Peoples Republic especially so.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:37   #3

if memory serves me these are from Canada. I bought a 250w a few years ago. Was around $200 less than a $1 a watt. $1 a watt was price range then. Rest of equipment was about $75. may want to shop around . Lee
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Economists, polled by Reuters between February 7-13TH, said they expected China’s economic growth to slump to 4.5% in the first quarter of 2020, down from 6% in the previous quarter.
However, the economists were optimistic China’s economy would recover quickly. if the virus could be contained.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ch...-idUKKBN20801Y

China is the largest solar panels supplier in the world, and there are hundreds of large and small solar panels manufactures in China. Eight out of the world's top 10 solar panel makers are Chinese, according to IHS Markit. China is by far the world's biggest producer with a 71% market share.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Bus...hallenges-loom

Accordingly, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some significant disruption in the P.V. Panel market.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 14:38   #5

Boat: Alajuela 33

If you go to renogy.com and price the parts individually rather than in the kit, you can currently save about $145.
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 15:00   #6

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I bought a 350 watt panel with 21 % efficiency two weeks ago locally for $150-00 AUD, it included a controller and connections, The prices here are dropping constantly,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 15:23   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Heaps of big panels 250w plus going cheap in the UK and some are less than the little panels. It was cheaper for me to buy a 300w than a second 150w panel. At 50p a watt it doesn't matter if it only lasts 10 years on a boat.

I think this is down to the Gov cutting the feed in tariffs for home installations so the market collapsed, meanwhile the small ones remain popular so priced accordingly.

What is left of the German solar industry must be hoping for a short term reprieve after the Chinese crushed them.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 16:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns423 View Post
I've had a Renogy 300 Watt Solar Kit in my Amazon cart for a few weeks and the price almost doubled yesterday. I wasn't planning on ordering until this summer using Amazon Points. I wonder if this increase is supply chain jitters from the Corona Virus? This is the kit of anyone has any comments. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015DFMTS2
I work in th solar industry. We most definitely have not seen a doubling of prices, in fact they continue their steady decline. I'm guessing that was just a pricing issue with that specific vendor, either a mistake or their own idiosyncratic supply chain issue.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 16:51   #9

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Heaps of big panels 250w plus going cheap in the UK and some are less than the little panels. It was cheaper for me to buy a 300w than a second 150w panel. At 50p a watt it doesn't matter if it only lasts 10 years on a boat.
Pete, we have our boat in the Solent - any places you'd suggest to get some of those "cheap" 250-300W panels?
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 17:18   #10

Boat: Caliber 38

Quote:
After reading your post I checked my cart and the price had dropped 16%

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K43DZFR...lig_dp_it&th=1
Old 02-03-2020, 02:10   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
Pete, we have our boat in the Solent - any places you'd suggest to get some of those "cheap" 250-300W panels?
Try Bimble Solar near Brighton https://www.bimblesolar.com/
They have lots of solar panels at rock bottom prices including used panels from solar farms that have upgraded. They also have PV controllers and inverters etc at good prices.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailtheWind View Post
After reading your post I checked my cart and the price had dropped 16%

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K43DZFR...lig_dp_it&th=1
checked price they took off the kit part no controller cables clamps etc. price still high. seller changing it for you follow the money shop around.
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:44   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:

Check your 'puter for Amazon "Cookies" and eliminate them if found. According to a recent technical article, Amazon has a subroutine for "motivating" prospective buyers to proceed with purchases whereby, after a certain number of views of a product, displayed prices are increased incrementally. In response, some/(many?) will "click through" and complete a buy order to obtain the product before any further price increases occur. Artificial "scarcity" effect I suppose...

Whether the foregoing is correct or not, I don't know. I do know the effect of perceived increasing scarcity on motivating prospective consumers, however.

FWIW
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:05   #14

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Check your 'puter for Amazon "Cookies" and eliminate them if found. According to a recent technical article, Amazon has a subroutine for "motivating" prospective buyers to proceed with purchases whereby, after a certain number of views of a product, displayed prices are increased incrementally. In response, some/(many?) will "click through" and complete a buy order to obtain the product before any further price increases occur. Artificial "scarcity" effect I suppose...

Whether the foregoing is correct or not, I don't know. I do know the effect of perceived increasing scarcity on motivating prospective consumers, however.

FWIW

It also works on the average income in your Postal Code/Zip Code area. I am in one of the highest in Canada. I have to put items in my wish list, and wait a while, the algorithm, checks your list against price and if you do not make a move in a bit over a month, the price magically drops. Surprise, surprise! Got a better deal on my complete Raspberry Pi/monitor setup that way. My American Amazon account, lists prices far lower than the exchange difference.
Cheers
Old 02-03-2020, 14:09   #15

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
It also works on the average income in your Postal Code/Zip Code area. I am in one of the highest in Canada. I have to put items in my wish list, and wait a while, the algorithm, checks your list against price and if you do not make a move in a bit over a month, the price magically drops. Surprise, surprise! Got a better deal on my complete Raspberry Pi/monitor setup that way. My American Amazon account, lists prices far lower than the exchange difference.
Cheers
Fleabay.com does that as well, Or only gives one page of expensive sponsored items,
Or trys to move me to the even more expensive Aussie Ebay
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, price, solar