Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 06:54   #106

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Solar prices are about to go up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
............. Yes, solar should get subsidies because it's an actual growth business. ............
Realize that the government has no money of its own. When the government subsidizes a business, they are giving away your tax money and mine. Why should the government favor one business over another.

And suppose I am a coal miner or oil worker. I pay taxes to the government and it gives my tax money to companies that may put me out of work. How is that right?

The USA did not become a world leader by the government subsidizing industry. People had a vision and they made it happen.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:00   #107

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
If you study the big picture - no major economic transition was implemented without some massive gov't involvement.

Rail tracks were not built by free market but by coercive gov't power of eminent domain as well as gov't largesse in providing access to vast tracks of Federally and State owned lands. To wire the country electrically we needed a massive ROW/eminent domain intrusion into the property ownership rights. To switch from horse buggies to autos we needed not just gov't mandated eminent domain takings but also direct gov't involvement in building roads, bridges etc. Or do you think that all the roads in the 20th c were build by the magic hand of free market? How's the gov't support of the next major switch i.e. to renewable energy is different?

BTW does anyone here thinks it be a good idea if every road, bridge and intersection were privately owned and operated under a myriad of different private standards? Would the economy and our lives benefit from such free market approach to a commonly used resource? Why is energy, a commonly used resource, should be any different? I would rather put all of our political resources and criticism into cleaning up our government and protecting the voting public from the influence of lobbyists and special interest groups, which cleansing would do infinitely more good than subsidizing another expiring industry. Think of the gov't in the early 1900s worrying about dwindling profits of the horse sellers and putting up barriers to auto manufacturers and road building.
You have spent a lot of time and bandwidth distorting the facts in an attempt to make a point (which is wrong). I hope you don't honestly believe what you posted.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:08   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This thread is closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
price, solar