Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 01:26   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper
Re: Solar settings for float and discharge

Rounding back, I now have the Victron 100/30. Great to see on the app the voltage and amps before and after the regulator.
Most I've seen so far is 90W at maximum sun (panels 200W total). Most amps I've seen to the battery is 5.9. This did blow the existing 5amp fuse between regulator and battery. Replaced with a 10 for now.
Next I need to test what the panels are actually capable of separately. And also haven't really had the batteries at any sort of lower level yet.
rwoodnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:45   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoodnz View Post
Rounding back, I now have the Victron 100/30. Great to see on the app the voltage and amps before and after the regulator.
Most I've seen so far is 90W at maximum sun (panels 200W total). Most amps I've seen to the battery is 5.9. This did blow the existing 5amp fuse between regulator and battery. Replaced with a 10 for now.
Next I need to test what the panels are actually capable of separately. And also haven't really had the batteries at any sort of lower level yet.

Do the Watts on the panel side go up if you turn on every 12 V item you can (all lights, radio, chartplotter etc? )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 23:10   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Do the Watts on the panel side go up if you turn on every 12 V item you can (all lights, radio, chartplotter etc? )
No. It didn't make any difference if I turned everything on. Does that mean there is too much resistance in the system/battery to take advantage of the panel output? The battery was well charged at the time, so waiting also to see if amps will be higher when have a lower battery situation.

In the meantime I got myself a 20A meter and put that across each of the two panels facing sun in mid-day in Cyprus - so some of the best sun in the world even if summer has just departed.

Measured 4.1A on each panel. Rating 6.1 Open Circuit. I appreciate the sun could get stronger in summer but it still feels like it didn't meet the spec.

That said, the panels still seem like were a good deal and fit the location perfectly. I'll probably get two more since the Victron is 30A. If I could be sure I'll never get more than 5A from each panel I could go for 4 more for a total of 6x5A.

Anyone know what happens with a Victon if you pump more than its rating? Does it just cut out or does it blow some fuse that requires shop repair?
rwoodnz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, solar