Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2020, 18:09   #1

Solar Setup Under 500$?

So I’ll open this thread by saying that in physics Electrical was always the section that I liked the least. That said I also now realize it was probrably the most useful!

I was wondering if someone could help suggest products to me for a portable solar supply. We have a 38 foot boat and want to be able to do some extended cruising this summer and may have to be able to quarenteen on anchor for periods of time. Our power requirements are relatively minimal we have an early 2000s Danfoss BD5 fridge, and want to be able to charge a few phones and laptops, and if it’s hot run some 12 volt fans or a box fan off the inverter. We have all LED lights.

Is there a realatively cheap and portable solar setup we could run (500 dollars$?) Doing some searching here and YouTubing it looks like we couldn’t splurge and get top of the line stuff but is there an option for 2 flexible solar panels and a charge controller in that price range that would supply enough power? It seems like there is a sea of very cheap stuff with mixed reviews or expensive stuff for people who are looking to spend more $$.

Thx
SurlySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 18:19   #2

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: Solar Setup Under 500$?

There are exactly such kits out there, Renogy is one brand that comes to mind, There are others.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 20:12   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Get a Victron 75/15 controller and a couple of 100 watt flexible panels. I have a couple of Renogy 100 watt fixed panels and they are working out fine.

200 watts might not cover your usage but should come close on good days.

You will need a DC rated switch/ breaker on the solar side and some wire protection (fuse) where it ties to the boat DC system. The controller has a fuse on the output but it is on the wrong end of the wiring.

Can't say enough good things about that little Victron controller.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 19:49   #4
tmw

I installed a Renogy flex panel package last year and it works great. I think it was around $599, on sale. We have a 36 foot downeaster on Long Island Sound and require 40- 50ah overnight for lights, internet, fridge and charging phones, etc. On a normal, mostly sunny, day, the batteries were charged by late afternoon with no problem but too many clouds would be iffy. Over the winter, I installed an MPPT charger and now the batteries are topped off mid day. I was even seeing 2 plus amps over the winter under the white shrink wrap cover on the Victron battery monitor. I was able to use onboard lights and play the stereo while doing winter work without having to plug in a charger. It also increased our stay out time since I didn't have to keep running the gen to recharge. Something I refused to do long enough to fully charge the batteries each day. Now the gen runs to make meals and heat water. Maybe 30-45 minutes morning and again in the evening. I only turn the charger on when it looks like it might be a cloudy day to give the panels a head start in the morning just in case. Good Luck on
tmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar