Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 13:51   #1

Boat: Dufour 36 Classic
Solar system that can be expanded

Hi All,

I am looking at putting solar onto my 36' sailing yacht.

The thing is that I am looking to put a single 100w-120w panel onto the sprayhood first.

Then when I get a radar arch fitted adding in 2 more panels maybe 80w each.

The question is around the controller. I was going to get an MTTP but which one, and also can I get one that I will not need to upgrade when I add in the second and third panels??

The next question is around parallel or serial connection. My view was that the hood and arch need to be in parallel with maybe the 2 on the arch being in series, but guess they can all be in parallel to...

Can they all just be connected to the MTTP like this?

Kind regards

Jason
lone_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 13:57   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Solar system that can be expanded

I got a fancy controller with the adding panel later thought (I have 290W). 4 years later I haven't added to the panels and am thinking I'm not going to. Yet the cost of my controller was 40% of the project cost (was twice the cost of the solar panel).

Since a basic good MPPT controller for a 100-120W panel is inexpensive I recommend you just go this route. If you add a arch etc. later the lost cost of the controller is small in the total project costs.
Old 15-06-2016, 18:12   #3

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

I would plan the eventual system now and buy all the parts now even if some panels have to sit in the garage a season or two until the arch is done. To do otherwise needs a higher level of understanding and planning I think.

Another option is just pass along your initial system and do the final system at some future date.

Boulter

Sent from my XT1032 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 19:41   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
I would plan the eventual system now and buy all the parts now even if some panels have to sit in the garage a season or two until the arch is done. To do otherwise needs a higher level of understanding and planning I think.

Another option is just pass along your initial system and do the final system at some future date.

Boulter

Sent from my XT1032 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Why? Solar prices arent going to increase.

Buy mppt controllers for each panel. Cheap, you get redundancy and maximise your output.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar