Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2022, 13:00   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit
Solbian All-in-One

At first glance the all-in-one solution seems like a good idea for multiple panels where one or more panels may be shaded. Each one has its own built-in mppt.

But as I search for threads on this, I see some advice for setting different charging / float points for different battery technologies (AGM vs Lead Acid). I do not see any way of programming these all-in-one panels.

Do folks have any thoughts on using these AiO panels?

Edit: I have AGM house batteries and am just starting to plan my Solar installation.
argold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 14:49   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Solbian All-in-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by argold57 View Post
At first glance the all-in-one solution seems like a good idea for multiple panels where one or more panels may be shaded. Each one has its own built-in mppt.
This can also be easily done with standard panels.

Sorry, I have no experience with the AiO panels, but I would be very reluctant to install any system without adjustable set points. Hopefully someone will know if this is possible with the AiO panels.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:50   #3

A am waiting for responses from both Solibian and the local vendor on this question. I'll post when something comes in.

But from what I can tell, if one wants to use these, then one will need to find a thing (the marketing people) call a DC/DC "Charger". This has been discussed in other threads. It is a pairing of a DC/DC converter with a programmable battery profile following output system.

There are things like this made to go between an alternator and the battery, (e.g. the oft-discussed Stirling A2B), but those are designed to pull down the alternator output voltage so it provides more power, then boosts that voltage up to the appropriate float/absorbtion/bulk charging voltage.

But in the case of the AiO solar panels, I do not think we want to try to pull the voltage down.

I'm thinking that all the AiO panels can be parallel connected to a single input (as they can parallel to a battery) and there will be two outputs: one for the house and another for the starter battery. I could even imagine a third output for the load but that might just be a luxury...
Old 06-06-2022, 13:30   #4

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet

Hi Folks,

The Solbian AiO panels are great for simple installations, as they can be connected directly to the batteries. However, the AiO integrated controllers are not programmable, and the algorithm may not be suitable for some battery types. For most comprehensive solar installations, using either a programmable controller or one with a built-in profile that is appropriate for the batteries is recommended.

For many AGM batteries the 13.6V output of the AiO integrated controllers may be just fine. However it may be too high for some (if there aren't loads that keep the voltage lower anyhow), and there is no temperature compensation (which is good when charging Pb batteries).

As with just about everything, it's a judgement call with several factors to consider...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 14:19   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

If you have to put a DC/DC charger, or any other bit of kit, between the panel and battery then there is no point in having an AIO panel. Just use a regular panel with a separate MPPT controller for each panel. This is the same as using AIO panels other than the controller may be physically mounted somewhere other than on the panel itself. If you want to you most likely can work out how to mount the controller on the panel though there may be good reasons to have it in a more benign location.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 17:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanPlanet View Post
... For many AGM batteries the 13.6V output of the AiO integrated controllers may be just fine.
Are you saying the AiO panels are set to a fixed 13.6V output, no matter the SOC of the batteries?
Old 06-06-2022, 17:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
If you have to put a DC/DC charger, or any other bit of kit, between the panel and battery then there is no point in having an AIO panel.
Cost difference, the Solbian AiO panels cost less than the ones without MPPT controllers, then add the cost of MPPT controllers per panel. OR use the AiO panels and a single DC/DC charger for all panels in parallel.

Installation seems a bit less labor intensive also: one DC/DC charger vs 3 MPPT controllers. Could use less cabeling also as only one (larger gage) cable from all the panels need go below decks.
Old 06-06-2022, 18:20   #8

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by argold57 View Post
Cost difference, the Solbian AiO panels cost less than the ones without MPPT controllers, then add the cost of MPPT controllers per panel. OR use the AiO panels and a single DC/DC charger for all panels in parallel.

Installation seems a bit less labor intensive also: one DC/DC charger vs 3 MPPT controllers. Could use less cabeling also as only one (larger gage) cable from all the panels need go below decks.
I don't know where you're buying your panels, but the Solbian AiO panels cost way more per watt than rigid panels. Also, they are really quite small in output energy and would need way more of them to get any appreciable energy.

Solbian panels also suffer from the same fate as other semi-flexible panels and lose efficiency as they heat up due to poor or non-existent air circulation.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
I don't know where you're buying your panels, but the Solbian AiO panels cost way more per watt than rigid panels.
I am only comparing flexible panels against each other.

I know it is counter intuitive but have a look at the Solbian price list: https://solbian.solar/wp-content/upl...2021_A4-LD.pdf
Old 07-06-2022, 07:09   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Looking at the details, the AiO panels do not strike me as the the right answer for most marine applications.

The main feature is the integrated controller, but There are many disadvantages of this solution. To mention a few drawbacks:

1. The controller is not adjustable
2. The controller is subject to heat, UV and water
3. The area of the controller reduces the area available for solar generation, reducing the panels’ efficiency.
4. The voltage reduction (compared to conventional panels) that occurs at the panel increases the wire size needed.
5. Flexible panels, even good models have a relatively short life. An integrated controller means the controller must also be thrown away at the end of the panels’ life.
6. The controller is performing a voltage boost function, judging by the number of cells. This is not as efficient as conventional controller.

There may be some slight gains for some panels increasing the cell size, but reducing the cell number. There are also some advantages designing the controller for the panel, but these gains are slight and only apply to small panels.

I think there are better solutions for a boat.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 06:25   #11

Boat: v/d Stadt 44

I've had it with solbian solar panels,
I originally bought 3 at €800 each SP72 all in one and 5 of them have broken down in the meantime. 2x defective (MPPT) within a year, which were replaced free of charge, 1x defective within 3 years and which was replaced for a fee of €400 and later 2 more defectives, 1x MPPT and 1x foil that came loose, in other words, a bottomless pit So don't buy, just misery
sjaakie swart is offline   Reply With Quote