Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 12:39   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Sourcing a solar panel

I have 2-90 watt panels. If I remove 1 90 watt panel I can replace it, squeeze in, a 1600mmx1000mm panel. I've looked at the LG panels of this size, available up to 320 watts. That would give me 410 watts name plate. That should do me well.

Any suggestions before I pull the trigger? Supply options/suggestions?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:50   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Sourcing a solar panel

Be sure whatever panels you with that you can get them down the hatch. Consider replacing both panels with 2 200w instead. Your 2-90w panels are probably 12V, the 300w is probably 24-32v so remover you will need a mppt controller to step it down
Old 02-10-2017, 12:54   #3
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I have 2-90 watt panels. If I remove 1 90 watt panel I can replace it, squeeze in, a 1600mmx1000mm panel. I've looked at the LG panels of this size, available up to 320 watts. That would give me 410 watts name plate. That should do me well.

I have BenQ, same as sunpower, I did not know about LG but I suppose they are the exact same as well ? Beware exact dimensions are 1559x1046. Output is about 60V so you will need a MPPT controler. Great power, no problem.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:47   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have a Flexcharge. NC25A-12 charge controller.

SES Flexcharge USA - NC25A Product Info

Max rated input voltage is 140VDC.

Not sure if that MPPT or not. I think it does the trick.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:41   #5

Like sailorboy1 said you should use the same panels it is not good to mix and match panels.

Ivan
Ivansgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:57   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

If I'm understanding this correctly, you want to put a new 320W panel in and keep your 1 90W panel.

If that is correct, then you are going to need to rethink your solar controller setup. You will either need to go with 2 new MPPT controllers (1 for each panel), or rewire in series. Rewiring is series has its own issues as the circuit will probably be running between 70-90V. Your old 90W panel might have diodes that aren't rated for this voltage. Even then, you would still need to replace your solar controller as the one you linked cannot handle that many watts (410W requires a minimum 35A controller).

Personally (if you have the space), I would go with 2 200W panels and 2 new Victron MPPT 75/15 controllers. This would eliminate the whole "shading" issue and provide some redundancy. In the event you loose 1 circuit, you can still limp along with 200W.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:44   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK,

any recommendation on the 200 Watt panels?

Their is a size limitation. One side will take 1600x1000, the other is slightly smaller as wind gen would need to be moved a few inches which I don't want to do.

So I could do 2 panels as long as they are a bit smaller than 1640 x 1000.

Also, I need to be careful. I'm running out of conduit. It looking forward to running yet more wire. Getting busy back there.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:10   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
OK,

any recommendation on the 200 Watt panels?

Their is a size limitation. One side will take 1600x1000, the other is slightly smaller as wind gen would need to be moved a few inches which I don't want to do.

So I could do 2 panels as long as they are a bit smaller than 1640 x 1000.

Also, I need to be careful. I'm running out of conduit. It looking forward to running yet more wire. Getting busy back there.
Are you a liveaboard, or just cruising weekends?

We have cruised for 2 years full time on a mix of cheap panels bought off Amazon. One set is Renogy brand and the other set is HQST. Both have performed flawless and put out more than their rated watts. If you do a search, there are a few for sale that fit your requirements (200W under those dimensions).

However.. Understand that going with cheap panels on Amazon means you aren't getting most efficiency. High end panels (like Sunpower) achieve 20% more watts in the same size panel. However, the price reflects this!

As to wiring... If you choose high voltage panels (like 35V+) then you have the option of reducing your wire size (bigger is still better though). You could use thinner wire from the panel and then mount your solar controllers close to the batteries.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 13:41   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Full time cruising 6 months a year. This year Carribean.

Our current 180 watts is a bit low for our needs. Lots of ideas floating about the ol cranium ATM. Maybe the best thing is to just get one high efficiency panel, still a big increase in power.

I can only fit 2 panels if I move the bloody wind gen a couple of inches. Easier said than done but possible. Researching.
Old 03-10-2017, 14:35   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Be sure to size your wiring to match the increased current. Voltage drop from wiring that is too light greatly reduces your output.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 18:24   #11

Quote:

If you really want to maximize power - and who wouldn't, given how cheap panels are now - I'd talk to the guys at Sun Electronics International in Miami {sunelec.com}. They did a great job helping us pick out panels (from their enormous inventory, of all shapes & sizes) that knowing the dimensions of the available space, would maximize power we could fit on our catamaran. We went from 4x75 12v to 4x185 @ 36v in the same space; and with an MPPT controller we had what seemed like 10x the output. And, their pricing was quite good - I think now you can find some as low as $0.25 per watt for special/clearance ones - or $.40-.50 for just about anything.

Goodbye running engines to charge!
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 18:26   #12

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Sun Electric is the best source I found. 2 250 watt Sanyo panels at $0.51 per watt.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:40   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks.

Tags
solar