Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 09:00   #1

Boat: St Francis 50
Speedseal for Northern Lights 9kw 60Hz genset

We are about to install a new NL genset on our cat being built in South Africa.
I currently don't have easy access to the unit (we're in the USA) . Contacting NL for details on water pump">raw water pump dimensions has not been helpful so far (they say it's a 9pgm pump and built for them). From the photos it looks like a Jabsco.
Has anyone fitted a Speedseal or know what brand/model of pump is on this genset?
BTW we are also fitting a March 510gph salt water booster pump in-line.
Appreciate any info the forum may have .
Paul

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:13   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Speedseal for Northern Lights 9kw 60Hz genset

I put a speedseal on my Ford-Lehman years ago and found it very useful both at anchor and underway with an overheating engine. The folks at

Welcome to Speedseal

were helpful back then. You're on the right track as far as identifying the pump manufacturer and going from there. Very interesting the engine manufacturer/marinizer can't or won't tell you which pump they used. How do you buy impellers, seals and rebuild kits? You'll need those even if you don't get a speedseal.

If you got a seal kit you could send one of the outer cover seals to the company or a copy with dimensions by email and I'm pretty sure they could provide you the right seal. Nobody in their right mind would engineer and build from scratch a water pump for such a small market. That's not to say there aren't those crazies out there.

Good luck.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:53   #3

The Northern Lights raw water replacement part number is 25-12057 for the M773LW3 genset. I'm sure there's a Jabsco read-across somewhere.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't understand the March pump inline with the mechanical one.
Reason is that most likely if a generator water pump is going to be damaged its during the initial dry run until it primes, and I'd assume that where a Cat usually mounts a generator is even higher than average for a mono, so more likely for a dry run and a longer one.
But the March pump will not begin to pump water until after the generator is putting out AC power, so your still going to have several seconds of dry run, every time and damage is cumulative.
But if you used a DC pump it could be wired like the electric fuel pump and or the DC powered ventilation fan if you have one, to come on with ignition and pre-prime the mechanical pump. Just know of course that just like your main engine if you continue to crank without starting, your muffler will fill up, maybe faster so be wary.

But, why have a mechanical pump at all? Or if you don't want to re-plumb, just simply remove the impeller of the mechanical pump and let the March pump supply cooling water.
Yes you do have the first ten sec or so of no cooling water, but nothing is going to overheat in such a short time.

I am not a Cat, but had trouble with my Jabsco pump and didn't like the consequences of the failure, so I eliminated it and went with just the March pump, so far works great, don't see any downside, and I think there are many like that, seemed when I asked here the response was that there were many like it, go ahead.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:42   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Call Depco pump, see what they say, I bet they know

Contact Us At Depco Pump Company
Old 03-08-2016, 13:15   #6

Thanks A64,
I did contact them and have the read across which is Jabsco 30140-9001.
I have used an in-line March on my previous 6kw NL and got over 1,000 hours so will go with the same system.
I have heard of a number of people just eliminating the Jabsco but will wait on that option.
Paul

Old 04-08-2016, 07:02   #7

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

When I looked at the Speedseal website after they have a new product to address dry running of mechanical pumps. It seems reasonable to me and I think I will go that way when I get around to getting the kit. It would be good to get some references but for the money I think I would do it anyway.

I assume you would wire a March electrical pump with a solenoid in the ignition/run circuit. Not a big deal but just something to do and another potential failure point.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:16   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Speedseal for Northern Lights 9kw 60Hz genset

March pumps are 110V, or all I have seen are.
I wired mine directly to the generator output so it runs any time the generator is making power, they are centrifugal pumps, so if there was a mechanical pump too it would pull water through the March just like it wasn't there if the March were to fail, wire break etc.
Only thing I can see a March would do if run in series is to prime the mechanical pump, but it won't supply water until after AC power is present.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-08-2016, 10:14   #9

A64 is right, the mechanical pump would pull through the March if it failed.
Wiring the March pump to genset power panel only allows them to run when genset is running.
I'm going for belt and suspenders with March and Speedseal :-)

Old 04-08-2016, 13:46   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd install one of those inexpensive strainers like used on your fresh water pump between the mechanical pump and heat exchanger.
That way you can just look and see your impeller is beginning to fail, and it's a lot easier to get the bits out of a strainer than out of the heat exchanger.
I heard that trick here and have installed one on my main engine, so of course I have had no impeller failures.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-08-2016, 14:17   #11

A64,
Yep plan to do so :-)
Paul

Tags
Northern Lights