Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 15:40   #1

starter battery also used for occasional house needs?

Greetings: Question about battery needs...

I have a Neptune 24' that is used for daysailing. I have an older Yamaha 4-stroke outboard that uses electric start.

Right now I have a West Marine Dual Purpose grp 24 battery, MCA 675. I use it almost exclusively for starting the engine. I will be putting in a bilge pump, and possibly a depth finder. I rarely if ever use nav lights or cabin lights or other accessories.

It's been three years now that I've had this setup and the battery is reading something like 13.6 v after not being used for a couple of weeks. THis is lower than it used to be. I would like a battery to last and be there for starting, and that's about it.

Would I be better off with a starter battery (for life span of battery) seeing as how that's what I almost exclusively use it for? Also, Starting batteries are a lot cheaper.

Also, I have a 5 or 10 watt solar panel that (hopefully) keeps the battery topped up. Also the engine charges the battery when running, but this being sailing, that's not a lot of charge time.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

calden
calden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:17   #2
ltd

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 31
Re: starter battery also used for occasional house needs?

13.6V actually seems a little high. A little degradation can be expected over time, even if you meant 12.6V that's not unexpected. You're probably fine to keep the same setup for a while. The main thing with outboard charging and small solar panel charging, is those are both situations in which a flooded cell battery works best (because there isn't "smart" regulation of the charging sources). Best you can do is top off the battery with distilled water every once in a while.
But yes, a start battery would do just fine for your purposes.
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery