Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 08:10   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Starting engine when batteries are dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Have you actually done any of this?

My flywheel has a bell housing in the way to support the gearbox, what do you suggest I do to reach the flywheel?
how about using the front crank pilot instead of your rear flywheel.
Will do the same thing.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:25   #77

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Thanks, Newhaul. Maybe I used the term " flywheel" loosely. Not all flywheels are accessible, so one has to use whatever is accessible that can apply the necessary torque. For further amusement, look at YouTube for "Tiger tank hand crank start." Also, "airplane hand crank start."
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 20:58   #78

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 32 (Richards)

I have an inexpensive LI booster battery (https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-20800m...1-2&ref=sr_1_2). Had to use it twice (while waiting for a replacement for my dying starter battery). Worked like a charm to start my Yanmar 4JH2-TE. The unit also has a very useful flashlight, a USB charging port, and a 12V output jack. This turned out to be really useful for checking my mast lights. When my mast was restepped, the goofball in charge (ahem -- me) failed to label all the wires for spreader lights, foredeck light, steaming light, tri-color light, and anchor light. I found pairs of wires with my voltmeter (a pair would have a small resistance). Then I hooked up the 12V and went up top to see what was lit up.
Old 17-09-2018, 13:52   #79

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Originally Posted by Jammer:

"Do you have a means of starting your propulsion engine in the event that all battery power is lost?"

If ALL batt. is lost I'd have to wait until the wind gen. or solar panels put enough amps back to do the job, however losing the house bank AND the isolated start batt. is unlikely, so switching to house bank would be in order. Now, if the batt. is low and can't quite overcome the compression threshold one can use the comp. release until the rpm's are adequate then disengage the release.
No compression release, like my Perkins, I use a large bung to seal off the air intake - same effect as a comp. release, also useful for bleeding injectors.

"Do you carry an extra starting motor and the tools necessary to install it?"

Yes, motor & tools. But before r & r the motor try this:
Although I haven't had to do this on my boat, many times I've been able to bring a starter motor (works too with alternators/gen.) back to life by giving it moderate whack on the housing, of course this is a temporary fix and will need attention later.

Tags
engine