Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 08:00   #1

Boat: Elan 40
Sterling ab12130 not boosting

Hi,

I have this otherwise nice alternator to battery charger but it boosts only now and then. If not, it just passes through the alternator voltage. I can see what's going on in my battery monitor.

I located the problem in the input power +12v cable connector: moving the input cable made the unit start, but after a while it stopped again.

Thinking that the reason is poorly made connections I made a new input cable of tinned copper, 25 mm2 with carefully pressed terminals. For a while it worked. and then not. Again I saw boosting when I moved the input cable connector in the unit. The alternator end is ok.

So: is it really that two cables have been bad? Or do I get resistance in the terminal in a couple of weeks? The alternator-end terminal seems ok.

Of course, with 40 amps additional 0.01 ohms in the connection makes 0.4 v drop.

But why is the unit so sensitive to this?

Anyone with similar problems? Sterling was not that helpful.
tuomas is offline   Reply With Quote