Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 06:16   #1

Boat: Mirage 32
Sterling alternator to battery charger.

I have a question about the existing alternator/voltage regulator before I hook up the sterling battery charger. The Alternator is a 50 amp "Paris Rhone" with a Veleo Yv77 voltage regulator built on. My question: how do I disconnect the Veleo voltage regulator so I have the raw voltage going straight to the sterling charger ( I think of it as the new voltage regulator). Hopefully I can maintain the rest of the terminals on the back of the alternator to work the tachometer etc. The alternator is on a Volvo 2002, 1987 model. Thanks.
Gerry Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:50   #2

Re: Sterling alternator to battery charger.

Not sure i understand the question. You have an alternator with a regulator, regardless of internal or external, that charges the batteries when you're motoring. You are adding a shorepower battery charger. Is that correct? One has nothing to do with the other and the alternator and its regulator need not be changed or modified when adding a shorepower battery charger. Is there something special about this new Sterling charger that I'm missing?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:35   #3

Look at the instructions on the stirling power website, the alt to battery charger is not a voltage regulator for the alternator, it just modifies the voltage that the regulator in the alternator senses to make it produce more amps, it has has a split diode type function to ensure the starting battery is charged before house banks are charged, it also charges the house banks as a multistage battery charger would. All in a neat piece of kit. I am nothing to do with Stirling however I have a unit that will be fitted shortly. If you want more advice call Sterling in the UK and they will give you all the advice you need, they have for me.

Alistair
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:05   #4

Boat: Mirage 32

OK I'll contact Sterling about disconnecting the Veleo regulator. , for some reason, I was under the impression that the unit acted more like a voltage regulator and needed the raw power feed off the alternator. Thanks for the explanation.
Gerry Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, battery, charger