Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2017, 11:39   #1

Sterling Pro Batt Ultra and LiFePo4

Hi,

I'm evaluating the Sterling Pro Batt Ultra battery to battery charger to charge my LifePo4 house bank.

I says it has a LifePo4 mode but I would want to modify the voltages more in line with advice in 'The LiFEPO4 thread'. This would seem to be possible but the product seems to be:

a. More aligned to lead acid charging - with there being no apparent constant current stage
b. Fixed maximum current of 30 or 60A
c. No ability to switch off the charger rather than 'float'

Is anyone using this charger? I notice that Mainesail has them on his site - so if he has time to chip in, I'd be grateful.
jram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 12:06   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Sterling Pro Batt Ultra and LiFePo4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jram View Post
Hi,

I'm evaluating the Sterling Pro Batt Ultra battery to battery charger to charge my LifePo4 house bank.

I says it has a LifePo4 mode but I would want to modify the voltages more in line with advice in 'The LiFEPO4 thread'. This would seem to be possible but the product seems to be:

a. More aligned to lead acid charging - with there being no apparent constant current stage

Is anyone using this charger? I notice that Mainesail has them on his site - so if he has time to chip in, I'd be grateful.
Why would you want to use a 30A or 60A B2B charger to charge an LFP bank? These are suitable to charge a LA reserve from LFP using the key on excite feature but IMHO are too low a current for LFP...
Old 30-08-2017, 12:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Why would you want to use a 30A or 60A B2B charger to charge an LFP bank? These are suitable to charge a LA reserve from LFP using the key on excite feature but IMHO are too low a current for LFP...
To be honest, the alternators (I have 2 engines) are the least important to me for charging. Should I have to motor, it would be useful to have a regulated, controlled, albeit lower charge rate (60A) available for the main bank. (N.B. when I had LA 60A was a good rate of charge due to the impedance ). There are 2 alternatives for the alternators: Fit external regulators or use a charger such as the one above. Hence my evaluation
Old 30-08-2017, 19:37   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
the product seems to be:
a. aka Bulk, inherent in battery chemistry, not a charge regulation feature. This will happen with LFP, in fact you could just shut charging down completely "upstream" with an adjustable VSR based on hitting 3.45Vpc, which means no Absorb time.

b. go bigger if you want, they can also be de-rated if you want. Charles told me the 180A version coming RSN

c. see a. above.

And let me know if you find **any** charge source with that feature built in.

I assume you know this will work from any and all charge sources, not just alt.

Make sure a lead batt (starter) is there to buffer the alt output if you do implement the relay cutout, so you don't fry diodes or other gear with spikes.

And yes use the custom profile, maybe if you do want to Absorb, set that at 3.45Vpc, then go to float at 3.5, use that as the OVD cutoff? Just spitballin'
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 19:37   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
thanks for that "charge a LA reserve from LFP" confirmation, I had another seller suggest that too.

And for a smaller, say 200AH LFP bank wouldn't 60A be OK if you weren't in a hurry?

Is there anything wrong with slow charge rates, e.g. solar-only, other than taking a long time? as with AGM for example where higher currents helps extend lifetimes, I didn't think that was the case.
Old 31-08-2017, 05:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
a. aka Bulk, inherent in battery chemistry, not a charge regulation feature. This will happen with LFP, in fact you could just shut charging down completely "upstream" with an adjustable VSR based on hitting 3.45Vpc, which means no Absorb time.

b. go bigger if you want, they can also be de-rated if you want. Charles told me the 180A version coming RSN

c. see a. above.

And let me know if you find **any** charge source with that feature built in.

I assume you know this will work from any and all charge sources, not just alt.

Make sure a lead batt (starter) is there to buffer the alt output if you do implement the relay cutout, so you don't fry diodes or other gear with spikes.

And yes use the custom profile, maybe if you do want to Absorb, set that at 3.45Vpc, then go to float at 3.5, use that as the OVD cutoff? Just spitballin'
Good thoughts John, thank you.

I'm happy with the charge current available - the 180 would be too large for my alternators to support one at a time. (We cruise on one engine). The other factor is that our daily average consumption could be replaced in 2 hours motoring (ignoring the contribution of wind and solar). It would also preserve the life of the alternators and prevent me having to shell out for 2 x alternator conversions and the regulators to go with them.

My system configuration allows for sufficient protection for the alternators and other components as I retain some AGM starter batteries.

A chat with Sterling's UK tech dept this morning answered all my other questions - very professional and helpful.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:11   #7
cruiser

Quote:
I'm happy with the charge current available - the 180 would be too large for my alternators to support one at a time. (We cruise on one engine).
Just FYI, these chargers all allow for stepping current throughput down (derating) as needed, so only reason not to go big for future proofing, is budget.

Tags
lifepo4