Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 07:35   #1

Sterling Pro charge Ultra Fuses and internal voltage drop

Just wondering why there are two blade fuses? Why two x 30A size for a 50A unit? Is the output halved & spread across two channels or something?
What are they protecting? Inside unit or output wiring?
Are auto fuses fine for replacement?

Finally can these be the reason why my unit itself has a voltage drop of 0.2V under 50A?
For example I set charging voltage to 14V at 50A charge rate, and the absorb stage kicks in when battery terminal voltage is just 13.7V. But my wiring & all has about 0.1V drop, so I conclude the rest is inside the unit.
JmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:51   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Sterling Pro charge Ultra Fuses and internal voltage drop

replace fuses with like, known-good brand from trusted supplier

are you measuring your cable drop at full 50A current?

charger is very close to bank right?

your DMM is verified / calibrated?

adjust your setpoint if you're sure wire is thick as needed

or get the BCM add-on for separate voltage sensing wires
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:24   #3

Boat: Allied 39

I also have the Sterling Charger and see a voltage drop. Do you have a temp attachment on the battery? I went thru the whole system ensuring wire size is large enough, external temperature, battery temperature, etc. Finally just decided to live with it as returning it is a nightmare from French Polynesia as I would have to pay shipping and import duty. I run it on custom setting so just bumped up the voltage set point slightly

There was a lengthy post on this subject with Sterling chargers not so long ago.

Have you done a search?

Chuck
Jacaranda
Mo'orea
Old 03-09-2019, 09:13   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’m not aware of any fuses internal to the charger.
The manual doesn’t show any
http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com...tra_Manual.pdf

Where are these fuses located? If external to the charger inline with the charge cable, then yes there is most certainly a voltage drop.
The manual does say install them, but does not provide them and they are not part of the charger.

My 60 amp has three outputs, the smaller chargers have two I believe, I think your 50 amp would have three.
I charge two banks one 440 AH and one 220 AH, I ganged two outputs together to charge the 440 AH myself.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
replace fuses with like, known-good brand from trusted supplier

are you measuring your cable drop at full 50A current?

charger is very close to bank right?

your DMM is verified / calibrated?

adjust your setpoint if you're sure wire is thick as needed

or get the BCM add-on for separate voltage sensing wires
Yep V drop is at full 50A during bulk stage.
And charger is within 1M from battery.
My DMM is a mid range budget unit so probably no.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
I also have the Sterling Charger and see a voltage drop. Do you have a temp attachment on the battery? I went thru the whole system ensuring wire size is large enough, external temperature, battery temperature, etc. Finally just decided to live with it as returning it is a nightmare from French Polynesia as I would have to pay shipping and import duty. I run it on custom setting so just bumped up the voltage set point slightly

There was a lengthy post on this subject with Sterling chargers not so long ago.

Have you done a search?

Chuck
Jacaranda
Mo'orea
No temp sensor atm as it's LFP, but with my AGM I never noticed this drop probably because 14.4 is high enough. But more curious why two fuses?
Old 04-09-2019, 02:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Where are these fuses located? If external to the charger inline with the charge cable, then yes there is most certainly a voltage drop.
The manual does say install them, but does not provide them and they are not part of the charger.

My 60 amp has three outputs, the smaller chargers have two I believe, I think your 50 amp would have three.
I charge two banks one 440 AH and one 220 AH, I ganged two outputs together to charge the 440 AH myself.

Here is a picture & you can see 2 blade fuses right next to the negative lead
https://sterling-power-australasia.c...-charge-ultra/

My charger has two and came with two. Just curious about them.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:12   #8
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

See what support has to say.

Also with LFP, temp compensation should be turned off
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Pro Charge Ultra Manual ➥ https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...22295855460459

DC installation (output from charger) Choosing cable. unlike AC conductors, DC is very sensitive to voltage drop. The longer the cable runs the larger the cable thickness needs to be. Ensure only quality fire retardant cable is used.
DC - Fuse selection, as per the diagram, each positive output from the charger to the battery must be fused. Choose a fuse that is about 20% higher current rating than the maximum rating of the charger, then round it up. Remember,this fuse is primarily protecting the cables and not the product. E.g. a 20A charger would have about a 25A fuse. A 60A charger about a 75A fuse.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 19:39   #10

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

DC installation (output from charger) Choosing cable. unlike AC conductors, DC is very sensitive to voltage drop. The longer the cable runs the larger the cable thickness needs to be. Ensure only quality fire retardant cable is used.
DC - Fuse selection, as per the diagram, each positive output from the charger to the battery must be fused. Choose a fuse that is about 20% higher current rating than the maximum rating of the charger, then round it up. Remember,this fuse is primarily protecting the cables and not the product. E.g. a 20A charger would have about a 25A fuse. A 60A charger about a 75A fuse.[/QUOTE]

Gord
He is referring to the two internal fuses beside the output cables on the charger. I just recently bought a sterling charger and installed it and the first thing that happened was it a blew both of those fuses. Tech-support says my new charger has a short on the circuitboard and i should send it back for repair or replacement.
I didn’t think to ask work if users were four but I assume they are to protect the internals of the charger.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 04-09-2019, 19:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
DC - Fuse selection, as per the diagram, each positive output from the charger to the battery must be fused. Choose a fuse that is about 20% higher current rating than the maximum rating of the charger, then round it up. Remember,this fuse is primarily protecting the cables and not the product. E.g. a 20A charger would have about a 25A fuse. A 60A charger about a 75A fuse.
Gord
He is referring to the two internal fuses beside the output cables on the charger. I just recently bought a sterling charger and installed it and the first thing that happened was it a blew both of those fuses. Tech-support says my new charger has a short on the circuitboard and i should send it back for repair or replacement.
I didn’t think to ask work if users were four but I assume they are to protect the internals of the charger.

Al, S/V Finlandia[/QUOTE]
Old 04-09-2019, 19:45   #12

ACK!
Voice recognition got me again!
Should have been “what fuses were for”, not “work if users were four”.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 06-09-2019, 06:46   #13

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:

I have a 40amp Sterling charger and there are internal automotive fuses on each of the 3 outputs
Old 06-09-2019, 06:51   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sterling Pro charge Ultra Fuses and internal voltage drop

Will someone post a picture of these internal fuses?
The manual doesn’t address them, and I assume they are internal, as in have to take the whole cover off, something that the manual again doesn’t address.
I’m wondering if these fuses are in newer chargers and maybe older ones like mine don’t have them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:11   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Will someone post a picture of these internal fuses?
The manual doesn’t address them, and I assume they are internal, as in have to take the whole cover off, something that the manual again doesn’t address.
I’m wondering if these fuses are in newer chargers and maybe older ones like mine don’t have them.
The manual does address the fuses - in the link you provided. 5th picture down in the red square to the right of DC negative. All Sterling and PronauticP chargers have fuses.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuses