Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 09:19   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Suitable sheath materials for battery cables

I am reviewing the battery cables and DC busswork on my boat. Like many vessels of its age, the manufacturer-provided cabling does not fully comply with current ABYC standards.

I am planning on adding Class T fuses. Since it is not ordinarily feasible to place these within 7" of the battery terminal, ABYC compliance requires that the battery cable be inside a sheath or enclosure.

What sort of materials are commonly used to comply with this requirement, given the need for flexibility and the need to avoid using anything that will trap heat? I've seen a number of mesh-type products out there -- are these good enough?
Old Today, 10:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Suitable sheath materials for battery cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I am planning on adding Class T fuses. Since it is not ordinarily feasible to place these within 7" of the battery terminal
If you have room and reasonable access to the top of the batteries, you can add a T class fuse directly to each battery using a short copper busbar to connect to the battery terminal. The video linked below illustrates this. An alternative is to use MRBF fuses, but these have a much lower interrupt current limit. This solves the need for conduit and is safer.

https://youtu.be/2r6NbG73qZg?si=E1JKoUD6hkhb0sOv
Old Today, 10:28   #3

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Suitable sheath materials for battery cables

Split loom plastic is usually used. I don't think ABYC defines sheath anywhere. It will lead to some heat retention.

I am a big fan of Class T fuses but if you can't install them close to the battery and your batteries are 12V and either non-lithium or relatively small I would go with MRBF. On smaller 12V systems I would say MRBF on the terminal beats class T fuse 4 feet down the wire. Sheaths aren't foolproof. They reduce the chance for wire damage or chafe but it can still happen and the fuse can't protect from a dead short between the fuse and the battery.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cables