Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 12:00   #1

Boat: Tartan30
Switches near compass?????

I have a 1975 Tartan30 (I love this boat dearly) and the switch panel/fuses are in the cabin and share a Fiberglass bulklhead with the Compass on the other side facing the cockpit. Every time I look at this I wonder if this does not effect the compass, as they are only offset a few inches?
I plan on a complete rehab of the electrical panel, and it would be easier to keep the new one in the same area because all the wires already lead to there.
As far as I know ALL the Tartan30s are like this. The PO mounted good siZed stereo speakers right behind the compass as well. There a big magnets on the back of the speakers!!!!!
I have sailed "REHAB" over a 1000 miles and the compass seems to be just fine. (I know, so what the issue right?)
Maybe what I should really be asking is how close should electrical goodies be run near the compass?
By the way......I LOVE THIS FORUM, and check it several times a day! Always looking for other insane, small,old boat people to swap ideas and experience.
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:09   #2

Re: Switches near compass?????

note the compass heading, turn all power off at the battery switch, see if it changes.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass