Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2021, 13:00   #1

Boat: Catamaran Cruisers Aqua Cruiser 41
Tesla Power Wall

I am having a 20,000 watt Solar System installed on my home. The Powerwalls make no sense for my home...

But was thinking of appling a completely integrated home battery system to a boat. There are many brands of systems on the market but for example a single tesla power wall is about $10K and provides 13.5KW of storage. It contains a built in charger, inverter, and the whole shebang.

A single one can run a small house much less a boat for a good while, a/c included.

Anybody do this? Does it make sense over a battery bank?

Comments?
dc9loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 13:06   #2

Re: Tesla Power Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9loser View Post
I am having a 20,000 watt Solar System installed on my home. The Powerwalls make no sense for my home...

But was thinking of appling a completely integrated home battery system to a boat. There are many brands of systems on the market but for example a single tesla power wall is about $10K and provides 13.5KW of storage. It contains a built in charger, inverter, and the whole shebang.

A single one can run a small house much less a boat for a good while, a/c included.

Comments?
Last I looked Tesla wouldn't sell you one without a qualified installer putting it in your house and they wouldn't install on a boat. So you'd need to have one installed in your house then pull it out to out it on your boat.

There are a number of good threads here about folks who have done their own systems, just search on LiFePO4
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 13:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Last I looked Tesla wouldn't sell you one without a qualified installer putting it in your house and they wouldn't install on a boat. So you'd need to have one installed in your house then pull it out to out it on your boat.

There are a number of good threads here about folks who have done their own systems, just search on LiFePO4
Yeah, I know.

Tesla is not the only one, it was an example. These systems come integrated and engineered.

But I like your idea of adding one and then tearing it off and putting it on a boat.

Powerwalls are now in high demand and yeah, that will change at some point. Soon the Chinese will knock em off and etc.
Old 22-05-2021, 13:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:

Comments?
tesla is NMC cell watch video

https://youtu.be/Bg_480HUheo
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 14:19   #5

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post

Too complete this answer LiFePO4 is the battery formula for a battery of array of that size on a boat.

It's a little heavier then Tesla's battery formula but offers reasonable power density with no thermal runaway possible.
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 15:01   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgWesternMass View Post
Too complete this answer LiFePO4 is the battery formula for a battery of array of that size on a boat.

It's a little heavier then Tesla's battery formula but offers reasonable power density with no thermal runaway possible.

^^^ This!

A Powerwall type installation is designed for a static environment. Not an environment such as boat which is subject to all sorts of "not designed for" violent movement which will put stress on connections and components.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 17:28   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

new EVo cell lifePO4 320AH 3,2v have 5,4 kg
20 Kw Lifepo4 have only 110 kg price 3500$ and work but you are flexible build 12/24/48/64V Tesla powerwall is over 250V
op wrong tesla powerwall have only 13,5 kwh and weight 114 kg
in 114 kg Chinese lifepo4 have 20 kwh and price small fraction tesla price.
My Lifepo4 also Chinese but have duty PVC case 10000+ cycle but the price is high almost triple from Evo new cell
Old 22-05-2021, 17:59   #8

Quote:

Impressive!

But are nails really a big threat? Lol.

Honestly I don't have a clue as to what this test means? Is it just set up where a critical point was penetrated on one and not the other?

Scary explosion though.
Old 22-05-2021, 18:00   #9

Quote:

Ah ha! Thanks.
Old 22-05-2021, 18:05   #10

Quote:
new EVo cell lifePO4 320AH 3,2v have 5,4 kg
20 Kw Lifepo4 have only 110 kg price 3500$ and work but you are flexible build 12/24/48/64V Tesla powerwall is over 250V
op wrong tesla powerwall have only 13,5 kwh and weight 114 kg
in 114 kg Chinese lifepo4 have 20 kwh and price small fraction tesla price.
My Lifepo4 also Chinese but have duty PVC case 10000+ cycle but the price is high almost triple from Evo new cell
OK. So the powerwall... are you counting theweight of the chargers and inverters in both systems or just the battery components in each system?

That question applies to both cost and weight?

Thanks.
Old 23-05-2021, 00:59   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
OK. So the powerwall... are you counting theweight of the chargers and inverters in both systems or just the battery components in each system?

That question applies to both cost and weight?

Thanks.
only battery powerwall is a good product for use backup in house or use to 50% boat use is not safe but not made for boat

for example

WB-LYP1000AHC LiFeYPO4 (3.3V/1000Ah) x4 cell
you have 12 v battery bank 12 kwh
size 58 x 56 x 52 cm 164 kg

or
price Is amazing low 1.607 $ + tax
3.2v 200Ah LifePo4 x 20 cell 12 kwh
110*17,5*20,5 cm inline mounting weight 85 kg but lifespan is like teslawall but half from WB-LYP1000AHC cell .