Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 07:49   #1

Thanks for the charging help.

Just to say thanks a lot. I recently asked for some help regarding which battery charger would suit my needs, and how best to keep the batteries topped up, especially regarding the 'last bit' which because the battery will resist when it is near the top it may not be worth running the generator/battery charger.

I took the advice which was to get a Sterling charger, whack it on in the morning for a bit, then polish it off with the solar panels.

I fitted the Sterling charger this morning. It was fantastic. Did the job good and quick, and managed itself. I am very happy. In an hour it had gone from 30amps to float.

I had expected to have just one 230ah battery. I thought the old one was kaputt, so bought another one, but then I restored the old one and so I now have two 230ah batteries, and in great shape.

I keep each battery separate from eachother. Each has its own 100watt solar panel, mono, with its own controller.

I bought the 30amp Sterling charger. I knew I would be using it to charge both batteries, and thought 30amps split between then would be all they could take,mono point getting larger charger.

I began charging this morning and it was,as I've said, initially the full max output of the charger's 30amps. Amazing. But I suppose I should really have got the 40 amp model. But it soon did the job, and so i reckon i am ok and wouldn't need the extra 10amps. But I would if I was buying again, just to be sure.

So everything is great. It even has an equalization function.

So thanks for your help. I'm very happy.I think I have it all sorted now, which is a great relief as electricity supply is of course so important to the whole thing. Cheers.
duggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Thanks for the charging help.

I didn't contribute to your thread, duggybuggy, but I've had similar experiences with CF when I just couldn't figure something out, and from time to time contribute when I think I have something worthwhile to say. Others pass judgement on that! The best thanks you can give is to become a contributor when your life experience would help. I end up speaking to vision, vestibular, and other brain issues which were part of my professional life totally unrelated to gradually becoming a skilled cruiser.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging