Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2008, 18:36   #16

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
I have a nanopulser that had been attached to my batteries for two years. The only thing I can equate with that device is the fertilizer produced by bulls. While the device has been attached, sulfation occured at the same rate as prior to connection. I monitored the specific gravity of the batteries during the two year period and desulfated by standard means annually. Since I removed the nanopulser a couple of months ago while equalizing the batteries. The sulfation rate has progressed at the same rate as it did before attachment, during attachment and after the attachment. Though this is not a scientific study, my conclusion is that BS is more valuable. It at least makes the grass green.
If anyone actually believes this device is of any value, I will sell it to you cheeeeeeep.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 20:23   #17

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
I am very skeptical as well. But then again, people I actually trust say they have used them successfully. I wonder if it's just the sincere desire on their part to actually SEE it work, because it would be a great thing to have...

Not going to drop the coins for it now, but I cannot say I would not like to get my hands on one and try some of the batteries floating around my marina!
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 20:32   #18

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
EDTA ??????????
A chelating agent, meant to bind metals in suspension. It's been used to treat people for metal poisoning (e.g., mercury or lead) and in treating blood disorders (binds excess iron in the bloodstream).

I'm not sure how binding free lead molecules in a battery would revive it. One would think you'd try to get the lead out of the lead sulfate and back into the lead plates. Don't see how EDTA would do it, but then again, I'm an engineer, not a chemist...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 01:49   #19

Dead batteries

EDTA= Ethylenediaminetetracetic (sp) acid, a chelating agent used in chemical metal treatment and medically to treat lead poisining among other things, available as powder or tablets, if I remember correctly it was about a teaspoonful per cell.
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 04:07   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I cannot endorse the following websites, nor the information contained therein, about the use of EDTA (Ethylenediaminetetraacetic Acid) in batteries, and only offer them for YOUR consideration:

Wind Gen Zen - Step Eight: Desulfate a Battery using EDTA

http://www.taravisee.com/miscinfos/Q...generation.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 17:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by exranger View Post
Do those battery de-sulphator type chargers, that are supposed to revive pretty much any dead battery, has anyone had practical experience with them?
I have three Optimate III Battery Optimizers that maintain my motorcycle batteries over the winter as well as a battery in a motorcycle that sits for 11 months of the year in Europe...and every year, it starts at the flick of the starter button.

How well does the desulphation mode work? I can't say as my batteries never end up in that state.

Note: only recommended for 2 to 32 Ah batteries.

Tags
battery