Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2013, 14:00   #1

Timer Relay

I'm looking for a flush mount digital panel that has a clock where I can set the time to turn on a 24vdc piece of equipment for three hours in the middle of the night. I want the panel to be able to turn on a relay so there won't be much amps running thru the panel. I picture a panel with a input and output terminals that I can run 24v thru, set it for my time to turn on, and energize a relay. I have a nice knob control timer relay that turns on and off and cycles but there is no time reference.I definately want some kind of clock so I always have the same time. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
tuberider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 14:09   #2

Re: Timer Relay

Have you looked at the Flexcharge programmable timer? Not flush mount, but you could probably make it work. It needs 12V to run, but will switch 24V.

SES Flexcharge USA - Programmable Timer PRGTMR12V
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 15:14   #3

Thanks for the reply. The reason for the flush mount is that I want a nice display like an inverter display that I will have at the helm and the relay will be at a remote location.The smaller the display controller the better.
Old 16-08-2013, 17:19   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I have seen relays driven by any Android phone/tablet. Can't remember the brand though. They are there if you goo gle some.

You leave the phone up and the app will fire up the relay/s at the time you want, then shut them down.

The name had something with IO in it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 17:42   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I have a near identical timer to the SES mentioned above .... but flush mount with different ( concealed) connections... There is one for sale here Digital Timer 12volt Pumps Solar Caravan Lights Autofridge | eBay
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:33   #6

Here's another one that looks very flush-mountable. Cheap, too. Maybe too cheap by some of the comments.

Amico DC 12V Digital LCD Power Programmable Timer Time Switch Relay 16A Amps - Amazon.com
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 14:49   #7

JayH if I could find a timer like that in 24v it would be great.
Old 28-09-2013, 15:04   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The 'Frontier' one I mentioned earlier can be found in a 24V version. Frontier, Digital Timers
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 15:24   #9

Thank you, that's just what I'm looking for.
Old 28-09-2013, 15:59   #10

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberider View Post
I'm looking for a flush mount digital panel that has a clock where I can set the time to turn on a 24vdc piece of equipment for three hours in the middle of the night. I want the panel to be able to turn on a relay so there won't be much amps running thru the panel. I picture a panel with a input and output terminals that I can run 24v thru, set it for my time to turn on, and energize a relay. I have a nice knob control timer relay that turns on and off and cycles but there is no time reference.I definately want some kind of clock so I always have the same time. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
The Omron programmable relay will do just what you want. You can set it to turn on for any interval and off for any interval. There are seven different types of timers it emulates and it operates on any voltage you've got. The model number and wiring instructions for an on/off relay are on the website below in the fuel polishing section.
Old 28-09-2013, 23:48   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Some of the solar panel controllers have quite sophisticated controlling options.

For example they can be made to automatically switch a pump on for 3 hours between 10 and 1, but only if its over 10 C and there is diesel in the tank.

Altering the parameters is not easy because it buried in the menu structure of the controller, but there is enough versatility, and multiple conditions, that you can pick appropriate parameters so the process is automated and does not need to be normally adjusted.

Solar controllers that will do this are not cheap, but if you have solar it may be worth updating to a controller that will do this. The controller could even be installed without any solar panels, but its expensive just for the timer functions.

Anyway its an option to consider if you want an intelligent timer.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote