Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 09:51   #1

Boat: Watkins W27
Send a message via Skype™ to Stillwater1
too much equalization?

Last year I installed a new solar panel, controller, and batteries for my house loads.

My usage is such that I am shedding power everyday by 2pm or so, meaning I reach 100% SOC every day. In the morning when I get up the lowest number I have seen on my Balmor Smartguage is 77%.

My bank is 2-6 volt GC2 Duracell Ultras with a 215 Ah rating, made by West Penn. The charging parameters on the controller are set correctly for these batteries, with one exception.

I read recently in the manual for a similar battery (the Trojan T105), that if one does not discharge them below 70% the recommendation is to NOT equalize.

The Rover controller has a setting that makes it do an equalization charge of 14.8 volts for 2 hours every 28 days. I have been monitoring it and it is doing just that.

I would prefer it did not, so I wrote to Renogy tech support and they say I cannot change the setting.

Anyone here have any input on this issue?

Bob
Stillwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:12   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: too much equalization?

Hi there, 14.8V doesn't seem like much of an equalization charge for flooded batts. The charge profile for my trojans want 14.8 as the bulk charge voltage. Equalization is 16.2.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:29   #3

Boat: Watkins W27
Send a message via Skype™ to Stillwater1

Agreed. Good point.
It is a programmable feature of the controller and one can increase it, so I guess they just set it low as a default. All the other voltage levels can be adjusted as well. But it seems you cannot tell it too just not equalize at all.
Stillwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:45   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

For sure..what if you were using AGMs and really didn't want the equalize feature?

But yeah, if you're not losing much water, I'd say 14.8 for 2 hours each month is probably something of a good thing, even if you're not deeply discharging.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalization