Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2024, 09:53   #31

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Too much solar on this arch?

Here's the layout for how the panels on the dodger are going to look. The larger panels are 100W, and the smaller ones are 50W. Total of 350W on the dodger. Just ordered some tubing and should be able to make this a reality soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	287250  
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:18   #32

Boat: Catalina 30

Are the panels compatible? If they are going to the same controller, the 100W & 50W panels need to have close values for Voc or Isc, depending on if they are in series or parallel. If they are not, your output will be reduced to the lower of the two.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:11   #33

I'm putting the 2 50W and 2 100W panels into separate series strings, and those two series strings will be fed to two separate MPPT controllers. Doing things in series to reduce impacts of partial shading.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:37   #34

Boat: Catalina 30

As I understand your photo, the 100W and 50W panels are on opposite sides of the boat and are angled to the side they are on. If that is correct, then you won't want to put panels on the opposite sides in series as shading effects the entire string, not just the shaded panel. You could put panels on opposite sides in a parallel string and get full output from the one that is not shaded. If the Voc ratings of the 100W & 50W panels are pretty close, you could put a 100W & 50W on each side in series.

https://cleversolarpower.com/shading-solar-panels/

https://blog.santansolar.com/blog-li...rallel-shading

https://explorist.life/using-mismatc...r-panel-sizes/
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:47   #35

My understanding from other discussions here and elsewhere, is that if your panels have bypass didoes, which pretty much all modern panels do, then you're better off putting them in series to mitigate the effects of partial shading on one panel. There will be a small loss due to the voltage drop through the bypass diode.

In contrast, if the panels are in parellel, and one is partially or totally shaded, then the MPPT controller ends up optimizing to a lower target voltage than it would otherwise if only the unshaded panel was connected, and this results in a much lower total output.

Discussion here:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...es-281265.html

This does seem to match my experience with my two 175W panels one ither side of the boat hooked up in parallel to a single MPPT controller, but I have not yet tried changing them to series connection and comparing the results.

Ideally, but unrealistically, every panel gets its own charge controller.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:02   #36

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 43 Mk I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
It is a commercial product: FLINsail. We were offered a good deal on it in the Berlin boat show back in 2021.
Thank you very much!
BaccaSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:01   #37

Boat: Imexus 28

Our yacht is only a 28 foot trailerable is equipped for long period cruising. Our rear Bimini and targa bar have a combined 720w of panels.
We have other less effective panels both rigid and flexible permanent and deployable mounted in other locations on the yacht bringing our maximum deployable array up to a theoretical 1320w although I seriously discount the folding flexible manufactures claims bringing this down to about 1100w.
Two of the hard panels are also tilt adjustable.
All the fixed hard panels are removable via their Ferris thumb screw clamp style mounts but we have yet to need to do this. We also tow the yacht with these erected and have done so for thousands of kilometres proving their resilience to high winds and shock loads and have sailed in 35 knots with short steep waves.
The three panels fitted over the canvas rear fixed Bimini are also fitted with stick on rubber strips allowing these panels to collect rainwater which is fed to a 15 litre plastic container mounted in a corner of the cockpit not used for seating.
We run induction cooking, 240v hotwater heating in surplus power conditions, charge electric auxiliary/dingy outboard batteries, have a compressor style fridge and separate freezer, all normal lighting/nav equipment/fans and charger and use a variety of other 240v and 12v appliances.
It is possible on a smaller yacht with careful placement.
PS Our yachts manufacturer also installed a stern locker specifically for a suitcase style generator (Honda eu2) but we now leave this behind finding it unnecessary.
PPS Can someone advise how to turn photos that refuse to post correctly?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1401.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	287284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1663.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	287285  

Name:	IMG_2179.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	287286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2178.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	287287  

Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:31   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
Discussion here:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...es-281265.html

This does seem to match my experience with my two 175W panels one ither side of the boat hooked up in parallel to a single MPPT controller, but I have not yet tried changing them to series connection and comparing the results.

Ideally, but unrealistically, every panel gets its own charge controller.
Just waiting for the sun to appear for the first this year in England, then we may try series for a season to see if it makes much difference. Measuring like for like will be more tricky, but possible if we are stationary for a couple of days in similar weather conditions.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, solar