Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 01:40   #1

Towable hydro generator

These are sort of old fashioned, but I think it will be the solution to my supplemental power needs on long passages. Problem is the two products that were once available, the Aquair 100 and Hamilton Ferris Water Power 200 are no longer available and I haven’t been able to find a used one. My solution my be to fabricate one from an alternator, u-joint, rope, shaft and prop. But there are many problems to be solved in mating this stuff all together. If someone has already done this project it would be a big help. Anyone?
ToccataMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 06:37   #2

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Towable hydro generator

is there any reason you couldn't use something like a Duogen or similar that mount on the transom?
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 06:44   #3

Boat: EDELCAT33

Look at the Lucky Fish YouTube channel, he has a warran with a propeller alternator

carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 06:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome to the forum, Toccota.

Back off a moment. One reason those impeller rigs are off the market may be that they slowed the boats using them to an unacceptable degree. That "FREE ENERGY" ain't true. You will slow your boat down by the energy created plus all the losses between water and battery, and it's happening while you are moving. With a wind generator you can at least wait until you are anchored, and with solar the loss is to the temperature of your boat, not your water speed. With a small genset, you dodge all those problems at the cost of fuel; you have the energy when you want it, not when the waves move and the wind blows and the sun shines.

This may be a worthwhile project, but the histories of threads on this forum would not suggest that it is likely. Good luck.

Tags
generator