Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 11:30   #1

Boat: FP Orana 44
Trojan 105+ or Mastervolt AGM

Need to replace my battery bank. Initially planned for Trojan, but got offered what I think is a good deal of Mastervolt AGM.

Comparing prices I got, the Mastervolt AGMs turns out at a 70% higher cost per Ah than the Trojan 105 plus. No installation issues with either.

I'm a full time cruiser and with my current battery bank I'm usually down at 85% charge remaining each night, and with plenty of solar, its comfortably fully charge at the end of the day.

I'm almost always on the hook, and what I think killed my current batteries is sulfation as I never really charged them above 14..4V, however the solar charge reach 14.4 volt almost every day

My main priority is cost of ownership, ie cycles/$. Are the Mastvolt doing to last 70% longer than the Trojan. Also, given the lack of equalization, is there any difference between AGMs and Trojans.

I searched for threads on the subject on this forum, but I couldn't find a good to the point one.

Thanks.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:05   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Trojan 105+ or Mastervolt AGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail IC View Post
Need to replace my battery bank. Initially planned for Trojan, but got offered what I think is a good deal of Mastervolt AGM.

Comparing prices I got, the Mastervolt AGMs turns out at a 70% higher cost per Ah than the Trojan 105 plus. No installation issues with either.

I'm a full time cruiser and with my current battery bank I'm usually down at 85% charge remaining each night, and with plenty of solar, its comfortably fully charge at the end of the day.

I'm almost always on the hook, and what I think killed my current batteries is sulfation as I never really charged them above 14..4V, however the solar charge reach 14.4 volt almost every day

My main priority is cost of ownership, ie cycles/$. Are the Mastvolt doing to last 70% longer than the Trojan. Also, given the lack of equalization, is there any difference between AGMs and Trojans.

I searched for threads on the subject on this forum, but I couldn't find a good to the point one.

Thanks.
SailIC,

I went through the same exercise last year. I ended up going with Trojan T105 for cost reasons as well. [Note I didn't say 105+; I went with T105s (8 x six volt = 900AH 12VDC @ 20 hr rate) so I could use the Trojan Hydrolink centralized battery watering system. (A must in our installation...) At the time the watering system wasn't available for the Plus line which have caps that run diagonally across the top of the battery vs. across the middle in a straight line...]

With proper charging/discharging parameters/regimens I anticipate getting 10+ years out of Trojan FLA batteries [based upon my research.] The last bank under the PO lasted 7 years, and were abused.

I equalize the bank about monthly when I'm cruising either while running the generator or on shore-power. My research indicates this helps extent the life as well. [I follow the Trojan specs religiously- and all charging devices have battery temperature monitors and are programmed to those specs...]

I have more details and links on a blog post I created at the time if that is of interest.

Let us know what you decide.

Cheers!

Bill

Tags
agm, mast