Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2018, 04:59   #151

Re: Troubleshooting solar setup... or troubleshooting my troubleshooting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Sky View Post
Quick update ..so we found the disconnect was caused by a connector between the positive out from the controller and the battery ..just needed a very slight rub with emery paper.

Solar is working fine now and even the AGM are holding their charge at 12.7 with no load over several hours...so will continue to monitor those closely.

Thanks guys for all the input and suggestions

Will start to look at options to upgrade to MPPT and perhaps bigger house bank in the coming weeks.

I suggest that you give it a thorough clean. A light rub will make contact, but probably remain at high resistance. For these purposes, "high" is measured in tens or hundreds of milliohms. 12.5 to 13.5 at low current is likely to be the bulk charge phase, so it will remain at that for extended periods.
Note: NEVER solder, then insert into a screw, screw-clamp, or crimp connector. The solder will cold flow over time,and leave a loose connection. Crimp, then solder, is OK. Ferrule, then clamp is good.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 08:41   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Troubleshooting solar setup... or troubleshooting my troubleshooting!!

Thanks for the update!

And I know I'm risking starting another "dielectric grease" argument, but before you reassemble those connectors, smear the contact surfaces with silicon grease or something similar. You will still get a solid connection, and much less corrosion.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar