Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2019, 06:02   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Trying to figure out this regulator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
Ok... so, yes, it's the solenoid for the starter.
My experience with car starter motors is that on the positive post, you would have the battery positive connected, and then a connection to the alternator.

But, as I mentioned before,
a. I didn't think I had an alternator; Is it part of the starter on my engine?
b. There are 3 cables connected to the positive on the solenoid.
c. The wiring diagram shows 3 lines into the regulator/rectifier which all appear to e connected to the starter.

And I'm back to square one of still not understanding how that system is supposed to work to charge the batteries.

While running the engine, we tested the voltage that comes from input side of the regulator and it increases with RPM's of the engine; So obviously, that's why we need a regulator. But since it's generating power, then certainly that means the starter is acting as the generator, no?

This engine is identical to mine, you can see a clear picture of the starter in black. He titles the video "alternator test"... but I don't see an alternator (so perhaps this is my ignorance showing). He has similar results to what I see when I meter.

Notice in the video that there are no wires attached to the starter.

It’s possible that this engine employs a flywheel alternator similar to a motorcycle or outboard.

Look for wire leads coming out of the bell-housing
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 06:47   #17

AH! Good point! I don't see where he has the positive attached.
You could be right, it could be using a flywheel / stator like a motorcycle and hence the need for a regulator/rectifier instead of just the regulator!

I think you may have just made it all click for me.

Now to figure out where it's attached... I must work from above this engine, so if that connection is below the flywheel, perhaps I didn't (or can't) see it.
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 15:07   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The Albin Vega's were infamous for having an integral starter/alternator, I forget the proper name for those. Last I'd heard there were no spares left on this planet, maybe by now someone is filling that niche.

For a while "generator" meant something that produced DC and "alternator" meant something that made AC, but apparently there are no heavily enforced rules about which term must be used for what equipment. Especially since an alternator doesn't ever produce DC...except for the billions of car alternators that use internal diodes to make DC output and DC only. Yeah, well...

Given that at least for some long time there were no replacements for these starter/generator things, don't be surprised if a PO had something kludged up to simply keep the boat and motor working. It might have been necessary.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 15:21   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Chapter 7 of this service manual discusses the flywheel generator

https://www.maritimepropulsion.com/files/pdf/1001278
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 17:35   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

Incorporating the generator into the flywheel appear to be one of those old gestation-of-the-auto ideas which is coming back into fashion. Have a look at the Steyr Integrated Flywheel Generator site.

I recall seeing old motors in rubbish dumps with V shaped magnets bolted around the circumference of the flywheel as the permanent magnet part of the starter/generator.

If you were just a day sailor on a fairly small boat kept in a marina one may not bother with an alternator or generator and figure on a few starts capacity on a battery and recharge with a shore power battery charger to recharge the battery or alternatively a solar panel if on a mooring.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 17:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The Albin Vega's were infamous for having an integral starter/alternator, I forget the proper name for those. Last I'd heard there were no spares left on this planet, maybe by now someone is filling that niche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
For a while "generator" meant something that produced DC and "alternator" meant something that made AC, but apparently there are no heavily enforced rules about which term must be used for what equipment. Especially since an alternator doesn't ever produce DC...except for the billions of car alternators that use internal diodes to make DC output and DC only. Yeah, well...
Well, a generator is a device for generating electricity. There are AC Generators and DC Generators; Generating AC is done with an alternator so they earned that nickname. A DC generator? I have no idea. That's why I asked about the terminology. Technically, both are generators, but only AC is generated using an alternator.

Motorcycles (and apparently my engine maybe?) have a stator and the flywheel or rotor spins around requiring an offboard rectifier. This might be what's happening on my motor and I'll go down to check it out tomorrow to see if I can find another contact point that I haven't seen before.

As for the Albin Vega's... that's what someone had suggested to me in the past and that's why I've been assuming (for years?) that the starter has been responsible for generating the electricity. The thought was that once the engine is running, it continues to spin the starter motor, which in turn produces energy and voila... generator.
Old 18-05-2019, 08:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
If you were just a day sailor on a fairly small boat kept in a marina one may not bother with an alternator or generator and figure on a few starts capacity on a battery and recharge with a shore power battery charger to recharge the battery or alternatively a solar panel if on a mooring.

Hi RaymondR, you are right on the money. I prefer to cruise (we have a short season on the Great Lakes); In the old days, I've taken my Contessa a good portion of the way around them. These days, work has been busy and a 4-year old daughter has kept me tied down to day sailing for a while and just as you predicted, I have been living on shore charging. I haven't needed Nav lights, I am half-way through replacing my electronics so I haven't used wind or even depth meter for 3 years, and my power requirements are almost zero.
However... my daughter's getting old enough for some trips and work will slow down or die-off next summer, so I'm trying to get everything back ship-shape so I can get back to my cruising ways.

... there's also something to be said for having a properly functioning boat, should I want to sell it. (I made the decision to sell it 3 years ago, but I have not had the heart to actually post it on the market yet. Maybe in another couple years...)
Old 01-08-2021, 03:41   #23

Did you ever solve this? I have the same engine and charging problem.

I have a K34 (actually notes from previous owners suggest K34M) in a 1980 Contessa 26. The previous owner passed away and the owner before that has limited recollection of engine details.

The boat has been on the cradle since November 2018 but we launch this week, whether or not the following issues are resolved.

After replacing fuel filters & changing oil, I got the engine running. Starts reliably & easily, sounds great. Eager to see how it runs under load.

But it is not clear whether the starter/generator is recharging the batteries. With the engine running and the orange Guest switch set to off (as opposed to 1/both/2), I would expect to see positive voltage on the solenoid terminal; is that correct? (no voltage currently). It has a Ducati voltage regulator.

I would appreciate any guidance you may provide.
JFreese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulator