Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 01:17   #16

Re: Turning Inverter on causes a massive loss of voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugmasterP View Post
The funny part is that this was happening this afternoon so I decided to plug the boat into shore power and turn on the charger and drop my wife off at the house. I came back a half hour later. Turned the charger off and unplugged the boat from AC power, hit Invert and it worked fine with no voltage drop. This has happened twice now. Is this just an overheating issue? Could plugging it into shorepower and turning on the charger somehow reset something like a breaker etc? Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks for any tips.
Just a long shot as I assume you took the other peoples advice.......

Firstly, it is highly unlikely that you have a bad connection and also can draw 135 amps. So cables and connections are very unlikely as the source of the problem. You don't smell any burning do you?

The above quote looks like something random is using ac current. The hot water boiler perhaps. You plugged into shore power and the boiler heated up, then when you went onto inverter the boiler was already hot.

I would solve the problem of what is drawing so much power first.

To do this switch off all ac devices at the breaker.

On shore power does it draw 130a, if so, its not the inverter internals

You might need to borrow an ac clamp meter. (I see its been said)

hope that helps
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter