Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2020, 08:00   #1

Boat: Oyster 49
UK Supplier for aerial cable to SSB

I need a new cable to go from the Icom tuner to the insulated backstay. I understand that I need GTO15 cable ie cable rated for 15Kv and harsh environment. Bob at YachtCom no longer supplies this. Ancor have cable on eBay but it comes from The States. I tried asking a Neon light company if they had something, but they do not

Has anyone bought cable in the UK recently. If they have 6 metres spare I would buy it from them, otherwise, where can I buy some?

Thanks

TudorSailor
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 14:01   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: UK Supplier for aerial cable to SSB

GTO15 wire is a good choice, but you don’t really need to overthink this. I’m surprised that the neon sign people couldn’t help. Did you just ask for outdoor sign wire or did you specifically ask for GTO15? Maybe the didn’t know the difference. If you can’t find the GTO15, just use a scrap piece of RG8 coax. If you leave the shield disconnected at both ends, it will work fine. If it’s too big to go through the deck hole, just remove the outer jacket and shield. The inside is all you need. The dielectric isn’t UV resistent so you can cover it with heat shrink outside. Not as easy as GTO15, but it will work just fine. Just maybe not last as long as the real stuff.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb