Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2023, 08:39   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Understanding gendsets as they pertain to hybrid propulsion.

Sorry “gensets” and I’m not saying I’m doing this but I am researching hybrid propulsion and find myself a bit confused regarding generator/batt bank sizing for a 24kw electrical DC motor.

Assuming no solar or regen how would I calculate bank size and more importantly generator size?
Old 03-06-2023, 09:27   #2

Re: Understanding gendsets as they pertain to hybrid propulsion.

Once you know what the electrical demand of your engine is a cruising speed, and how far you want to go on battery only power, that tells you how big your battery bank needs to be. If you want to the generator to supply enough power to run the boat at cruising speed, you need a generator big enough to power the motor, plus enough to add some to the batteries, plus enough for house loads.

In terms of gross fuel usage, capital cost, and maintenance cost, it is hard to design such a system that is more efficient than a properly sized straight diesel power plant.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 14:46   #3

Let’s say I’ve got a 24kv motor and am looking at a 400ah bank at 96volts (2 banks of 8 series/parallel) that’s 400x96=38000kwh so I could run the motor at WOT for 1.5 hrs. I’d need an absolutely massive generator to both run the engine and charge house bank and propel the boat. Something in the order of 50kw, which you’d be hard pressed to fit in and engine room. Does this sound right?
Old 04-06-2023, 14:55   #4

I just did days of research when I could have just watched a 7 minute YouTube video. �� https://youtu.be/ktLksMWVb0s
Old 04-06-2023, 15:03   #5

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Let’s say I’ve got a 24kv motor and am looking at a 400ah bank at 96volts (2 banks of 8 series/parallel) that’s 400x96=38000kwh so I could run the motor at WOT for 1.5 hrs. I’d need an absolutely massive generator to both run the engine and charge house bank and propel the boat. Something in the order of 50kw, which you’d be hard pressed to fit in and engine room. Does this sound right?
If you are going to use a generator large enough to power the full output of the electric motor 24/7 there is no point just have the engine turn the propshaft.

The idea of a hybrid propulsion is you mostly use the electric motor for populsion and the generator backfills some of the required power and also recharges the batteries as needed.

A 24 kW electric motor coupled to a 24 kW diesel generator/engine is pointless. Have the 24 kW engine just turn the propshaft.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propulsion