Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2020, 06:41   #46

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Use Strong Magnets to Mount Flexible Solar to Bimini??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggers View Post
As I mentioned in my post, the panel was suspended above the Bimini, not on it. Air could flow freely underneath the panel
Maybe you could give a picture of your installation. I am having a hard time visualizing how it is suspended in mid air above the bimini without adding some stout standoff posts to the bimini structure. The panel in the picture failed because the bimini bows made the panel flex.

I put some light aluminum framed rigid panels on top of my bimini, with 1 in standoff posts through bolted to the bimini bows. It was a PITA to take on and off, but it lasted until I sold the boat 12 years later. The panels were about as rigid and heavy as the flexible panels with polycarbonate backing mentioned by another poster in this thread, but they were covered with thin glass and had a 20 year output lifetime instead of the 2 or 3 years the flexible panels will give you.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 07:15   #47

Boat: 1989 Caliber 33
Re: Use Strong Magnets to Mount Flexible Solar to Bimini??

I should have been more specific in the original post. No holes in the fabric, which is a big part of the attraction. The North and South sides of the magnets will provide the 'attachment'. Please check out the link and pictures here by MarineSolar.com, as this if very close to what I have in mind: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/916...=1579268323705
TJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, solar