Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2021, 01:36   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Using Daewoo mini (220v) on our 110v boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
. . .Electric clothes dryers are practically useless on a boat unless on shore power, and even then they have such small capacity they aren’t really a great tool. Not to mention the complication of venting, or condensing the water coming off the clothes. . . .

As the Russians say -- komu kak -- for whom how.

For us, in our climate (where half the year it is freezing or dripping so no clothes drying outdoors) and on our boat (6.5kW heavy duty generator; heavy duty school bus alternator and inverter), the electric clothes dryer is more valuable than the washer. You can always wash clothes in a bucket, but how do you get them dry?

We have plenty of power off shore power whilst motoring (school bus alternator plus Victron inverter does it fine) or if not motoring, just crank up the genset.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 16:31   #17

Finally opened the box today. Looks to be a solid little unit. Comes with some 1/4” OD supply hose, the hose adapter and a 15mm ID drain hose. Not sure if the thread pitch of the valve but appears to be standard US type maybe? We’ll see.

For anyone looking to install one of these on a 110v boat I’d recommend ACUPWR for the step up converter. American made converter with a lifetime warranty. They are more expensive than the Amazon or eBay Chinese units but I didn’t want to trust our boat/lives to converters made to be as cheap as possible.

Here’s the 1500w converter we ordered and the necessary plug for replacing the type 1 Australian plug. There is also a 2000w unit but since the ACUPWR converters are rated for 125% of the labeled capacity the rep said it would work fine for this use (the machine is 1550w). If for some reason it doesn’t, I’ll post back here and let you know. I’ll also be doing a YouTube video of the install.

*Just a note if you buy the eBay or Amazon China converter they typically recommend buying a converter at minimum 50% larger than your appliance max power draw.

https://acupwr.com/collections/step-...merica-au-1500

https://acupwr.com/collections/plug-...rial-connector
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53DAC806-F9F7-461F-9E8B-5D52304C8CC7.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	247258   Click image for larger version

Name:	C721012C-4674-4E6F-82CF-771A8A04FDF3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	247259  

Click image for larger version

Name:	F9D02427-2FD8-4904-8AE0-085878C5AA41.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	247260  
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 17:01   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Using Daewoo mini (220v) on our 110v boat?

In this situation i would simply buy a dedicated mid sized 240 volt inverter to run the machine. Easier than stuffing around with converters and frequency changes, with the added advantage that you end up with a 240 volt source for other devices if needed.

The Deawoo seems to have a good reputation from those that have used them, though the gravity drain has proven a challenge on some installations.
Old 23-10-2021, 18:50   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
In this situation i would simply buy a dedicated mid sized 240 volt inverter to run the machine. Easier than stuffing around with converters and frequency changes, with the added advantage that you end up with a 240 volt source for other devices if needed.

The Deawoo seems to have a good reputation from those that have used them, though the gravity drain has proven a challenge on some installations.
I considered exactly that but it would have doubled the cost of the project. My system is all Victron so I’d feel compelled to go that route. The cost of the cables, fuses, and wire/connectors in addition to finding the space for a 2nd inverter just wasn’t going to work for me. Now if I had a larger boat to put it all…

Luckily my washer is going to be mounted well above the water line to the very forward bulkhead and drain via a thru-hull almost directly below it. Hoping it will drain easily and not want to siphon back into the machine. Haven’t heard of that but with my luck I’ll just have to see how it goes. Not sure how I’ll tackle that if it’s not an issue.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 23:19   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Are we sure that will work ok on 60hz?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 14:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
I considered exactly that but it would have doubled the cost of the project. My system is all Victron so I’d feel compelled to go that route. The cost of the cables, fuses, and wire/connectors in addition to finding the space for a 2nd inverter just wasn’t going to work for me. Now if I had a larger boat to put it all…

Luckily my washer is going to be mounted well above the water line to the very forward bulkhead and drain via a thru-hull almost directly below it. Hoping it will drain easily and not want to siphon back into the machine. Haven’t heard of that but with my luck I’ll just have to see how it goes. Not sure how I’ll tackle that if it’s not an issue.

I hear you, but seriously, if you cannot find space for another inverter on a 40 footer I am worried for you. I could easily find space for another dozen inverters on this old 42 footer.

Sounds like your drain will work well, but I hope that skin fitting exists above the waterline.
Old 22-02-2022, 16:22   #22

Boat: Nautitech 46 Open

Just bought a new Nautitech 46 Open and am considering pulling the trigger on an Australian Daewoo model from Ebay. Anybody else know of any other sources for these? (I live in the States).

The thing I'm trying to figure out is whether it can run from 220VAC/60Hz or not. Unfortunately, my current inverter is only 110V. I have a GenSet as well...all 110V (and two shore power connectors, one for HVAC and one for everything else). I'd love to figure out if I could figure out how to make this work so that I can run this from batteries, shore power or the Genset. Any thoughts?

Anybody aware of a two-pole, 110/220V inverter? Maybe I just replace my 2000W inverter with a new one that has both 110V and 220V outputs?

One post referenced a step-up transformer which is no longer available from Amazon. I suspect I can find others. That said, I'm a little worried about that setup being robust enough perhaps presenting excessive voltage transients to the DAEWOO. Is it still working today?
svwhileone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:11   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatamaranSupply View Post
No worries, we have been working hard on this. From what we know it will be the same version as Ryan and Sophie's just 110V instead of 220V. Both washer and dryer. We are gathering all of the specs as we speak and should have that information when we put up the presale. I believe it will still be the condenser dryer like Ryan and Sophie's as well.

Willem
Any updates on the 110v version yet? This is from a year ago.
epawelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:59   #24

Boat: J/42

I've been seriously considering stepping up to a larger boat that happens to have two heads. Replacing one of them with a laundry machine seems attractive, and it could just drain to the shower sump. About drying capacity... What if an outlet from a Webasto forced-air heater were led into the head/laundry room? (The boat also needs a heater installed...) Make the whole compartment a "drying room?" Thus the drying power would come from burning diesel, not primarily from electricity.

Someone out there must have tried something like this.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I've been seriously considering stepping up to a larger boat that happens to have two heads. Replacing one of them with a laundry machine seems attractive, and it could just drain to the shower sump. About drying capacity... What if an outlet from a Webasto forced-air heater were led into the head/laundry room? (The boat also needs a heater installed...) Make the whole compartment a "drying room?" Thus the drying power would come from burning diesel, not primarily from electricity.

Someone out there must have tried something like this.

Unless the air used for drying the clothes can be ducted,out of the boat, you’ll end up dumping a lot of moisture into the boat interior.

Hard to avoid if you use a diesel air heater in this way.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:14   #26

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Unless the air used for drying the clothes can be ducted,out of the boat, you’ll end up dumping a lot of moisture into the boat interior.

Hard to avoid if you use a diesel air heater in this way.
No need for ducting: The head is of course well-ventilated. There are two opening ports, and the Lewmar ocean hatch has a locking "vent" position.

But does the Daewoo unit have/require a duct? Didn't see one in the video.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 23:00   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
No need for ducting: The head is of course well-ventilated. There are two opening ports, and the Lewmar ocean hatch has a locking "vent" position.

But does the Daewoo unit have/require a duct? Didn't see one in the video.

I think that without very positive ventilation you’ll get a lot of condensation forming in there. The vents will help, of course, but if you were to try it I’d suggest keeping a close eye on things for a while.

Certainly a worthwhile experiment though.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:51   #28

Looks like there is still no 110V version. 220v version is being sold on ebay, but it is rated 220v/50hz. Can anyone confirm that this unit operates on 60hz supply?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313757836018
oleg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Are we sure that will work ok on 60hz?

I have the same question? Does this unit work well on 60mhz?
oleg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:48   #30

Boat: Nautitech 46 Open

We "just" installed a 220V/50Hz inverter to power it...I'm not sure but I think I've read folks have said it will run from 60Hz but I wasn't going to take the chance with a $1100 product I had shipped from Australia (to get the English display version)
svwhileone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat