Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 18:32   #76

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: Vertical Axis Wind Turbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkalan View Post
Hello,

Since the Mast-R does not seem to have any actual working reviews. I thought I would see what I could put together here in Hong Kong. All the factories are within an hours drive !

On the foundation of the multiple blade design of a VAWT. I came up with this plan with a few factory engineers to fit on the flybridge hardtop of my boat.

Attachment 78815
Are you looking for comments/questions ?

If not, just ignore

What I've seen in a few designs is the circular plate is CNC machined (probably waterjet) with slots of the desired airfoil shape. The blades are continuous running through two or three plates (or rings). That way the blades are fully supported and can be a thinner (lighter) material.

What size will it be ?
Is the generator off the shelf ?
How did you come up with the 600W number.

Good luck with it.

Hope to hear how it works out.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 23:09   #77

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY

Hello,

The factory is cutting the aluminum on a water jet and each blade is being rolled to an exact curve in a jig the have made. It is impressive so far. They have a cad program and a virtual wind machine that shoed me a "perfect world" performance, where they adjusted my base plan. They have a powder coating line as well... It is impressive !

The generator is from a factory near by. A standard model. Only $75 USD each.

The local stainless steel welding shop near the marina will be making the main support base to match the curve of the hardtop, so it is plumb when it is installed. The vessel goes on the slipway at the end of May for her annual tummy rub !

Here is the measurements first planed... The factory has made a few adjustments.

And the data of the PMG.

Alan
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1396764497.852960.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	78857Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1396764519.230949.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	78858
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:41   #78

Boat: 45' CC ketch

I would be concerned about this setup pictured above. Boat is a mobile platform that can move in various directions. That would put a huge strain on the load bearing thingy, and in this case the generator IS the load bearing point for the whole thing. Try to spin a bike wheel and then hold the axis and try to sway it - you will see what I mean. On moving platform that the boat is, the generator will be a subject to very high loads and I would't count on it's longlivety. I would rather go the way that abovementioned 24W VAWT is constructed, with support on both ends of turbine. Imho it is the only way to go for a boat. Of course I am not a VAWT engineer, but common sense tells me there will be a trouble with the above depictured setup. Maybe, making 2 load bearing points at the ends of the turbine would be a better idea. In any case, one should keep in mind higher loads at the axis compared to a free-standing unit, so proper bearings and stuff would help
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:37   #79

Hello

The stainless steel post runs up from the hull to just above the hardtop to support each VAWT. Just like the davit on the bow that lifts up the RIB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1397126229.558130.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	79084
Old 10-04-2014, 05:58   #80

Boat: islandpacket

Keep us posted. Sounds great. I want to hear more!
Old 10-04-2014, 06:09   #81

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkalan View Post
Hello

The stainless steel post runs up from the hull to just above the hardtop to support each VAWT. Just like the davit on the bow that lifts up the RIB.

Attachment 79084
It is not a steel post that is vulnerable. It is the generator. You can have a solid steel 5 inch post - but at the end, turbine is mounted to 0.5 inch generator's shaft that is supported by bearings. And it will be subject to serious loads (varying in direction as the boat sways). You can eliminate those by creating load-bearing top and bottom supports, this will remove load from generator's shaft. Dang, my technical English is probably not good enough to explain.

But the idea itself is great!
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 19:30   #82

Boat: Nauticat 43

Does anyone have firsthand experience with these units? If so, would you please provide a review?
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 20:57   #83

I continue to research, but no actual real world data or review.

I see their latest video (quite some time ago). The newest design looks great. If the generator was 3 phase AC output, and one could rectify next to my battery bank. A sweet set up.

It still remains to be un-documented with real world reviews !!

I don't understand that !!

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-10-2016, 22:51   #84

Boat: Island Packet 40

Design looks good.

You have the structural support for the rotor at the CG and provided the generator is a reasonable distance above the centre of roll of the vessel the loads on the shaft should be mainly shear with little bending. Shaft is small but should work out OK in these circumstances.

Looks like you could get a lot of power from one on a sail boat at anchor if it was longish and mounted on the front of the mast.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 13:51   #85

Boat: Beneteau First 40.7

A review of the Forgen Ventus 70 in PBO, Oct. 2016 issue. Conclusion is that it is providing very little power.
toref69 is offline   Reply With Quote