Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2024, 13:50   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Victron ArgoFET Battery Isolator

I would like to add a Victron ArgoFET Battery Isolator to the electrical system on my Cabo Rico 38, but I have a question about the Isolator's Exciter terminal connection.

The ArgoFET circuit diagram shows the Energizer Terminal of the Isolator gets connected to the wire that goes from the alternator warning light to the starter switch.

This circuit starts at the alternator D+ terminal to the alternator warning light then continues on to the starter switch.

Rather than connecting the Energizer to the wire from the warning light to the starter switch, can I connect it the wire that runs from the alternator D+ terminal to the warning light. That said, I would be connecting the Energizer terminal to the other side of the warning light.

I asked this question on the Victron website and all I got was an answer related to the alternators B+ terminal, which is not what I was asking about. The Victron circuit diagram specifically shows the Isolator's Energizer terminal being indirectly connected to the "D+" terminal, between the warning light and switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victron Battery Isolator.png
Views:	50
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	287007  
Vila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 21:07   #2

Re: Victron ArgoFET Battery Isolator

no because that side gets grounded by the alt. that is how the light turns on. it would probably short something out. the left side will always be power.

most alts don't need the energize wire. I would try without first. if you have an external reg you defiantly don't need it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:43   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Thanks smac999
Vila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 15:48   #4
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Vila
The "energizer" is required to turn the ArgoFET electronics on. It simply needs to be a switched B+. You can source it from the run side of a standard ignition switch, the load side of the oil pressure alarm sender, etc.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, Victron