Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 20:15   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Victron battery charger not working

Looking for some help. Went to the boat today and all AC power was working fine. Went for a sail and noticed the inverter wasn’t working as my AC outlets were off. The CerboGX and Multiplus both show it as inverting and shows a 4w AC load but no power to my outlets. Worse, when I get back to the dock and plug in, my AC power still isn’t working and it won’t charge my battery. I tried flipping all the breakers for the batteries, victron, and shore power and nothing. Any ideas? Is it a bad multiplus or potentially something else?
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 20:59   #2

Re: Victron battery charger not working

First off, the 4W AC load is just the idle number for these. I see that all the time when the actual load is zero. Part of the reason for this is these are not precision measuring instruments, for AC power loads they are making a "best guess" using some other data. Kind of like a modern car calculates fuel use based on throttle position, engine speed, etc, etc. So in this case, that number is not a terribly helpful indicator, other than letting us know the unit is not totally brain dead and the inverter thinks it is working.

When you plug into shore power, does it show something other than "Inverting" as the status? It would normally show a battery charger status (Bulk/Absorption/Float) or if there was no DC current needed to the battery it might show "Pass Through" for AC power status.

Are you sure there are no breakers in the main feed between the Multiplus and the AC Power panel? There should be.

If you are comfortable with a multimeter and live AC circuits, you can take the cover off and check for AC power at the input of the Multiplus when connected to shore power, and on the output.Same with DC power input. Do not do this if you are not familiar enough with AC power to know what you can touch and what you cannot. Your life depends on it.

If there is DC available and the unit shows that it is "Inverting" there should be full AC voltage at the output. If not, something internal is wrong.

If there is shore power at the inlet of the Multiplus, and no AC voltage at the output, again, something is wrong internally.

We can be pretty sure there is DC power available at the unit. If there was not, when away from shore power the status would show as "OFF".

These units are very reliable. I have worked on a lot of installations of these, and--short of a lightning strike--I have never had one fail in a client's boat. But of course it CAN happen. Victron's normal response to issues with this gear is to contact your distributer for assistance. Hopefully that's an option for you. ANd even more hope thrown your way that it is still under warranty!
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger, Victron, work