Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2017, 18:22   #1

Victron BlueSolar Charge Controller MPPT 75/115 "Load" Terminal Question

I'm 99% certain I know the answer but wanted to triple check here.

I recently bought the Victron MPPT 75/115 controller for my single 100W panel. I am matching it with the Victron BlueTooth Dongle.

The MPPT has 6 terminals. 2 for Batt (which I know go the battery terminals, with a fuse). 2 for PV (which I know go to the solar panel). And 2 for Load -- which, as I understand it, would go directly to a freezer, or other device that I wanted to power. In my application, I do not wish to use the "Load" part of things (at least not right now). Am I just fine leaving "Load" empty and using it only for the charging of my battery?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 29-04-2017, 18:44   #2

Re: Victron BlueSolar Charge Controller MPPT 75/115 "Load" Terminal Question

Just installed two of these.

Nothing goes on the load terminals (rarely used on boat applications)

Two tips. 1) At least on my phone, the dongle doesn't show up in the phone bluetooth list but the app finds it just fine. 2) One of my controllers needed a firmware update. It figured this out and prompted me through the process when I first connected the phone. Your phone will need an internet connection to download the update. See the instructions that come with the dongle.

None of this was a problem - just unexpected. The controllers and app work really well. Great job by Victron.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 18:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Just installed two of these.

Nothing goes on the load terminals (rarely used on boat applications)

Two tips. 1) At least on my phone, the dongle doesn't show up in the phone bluetooth list but the app finds it just fine. 2) One of my controllers needed a firmware update. It figured this out and prompted me through the process when I first connected the phone. Your phone will need an internet connection to download the update. See the instructions that come with the dongle.

None of this was a problem - just unexpected. The controllers and app work really well. Great job by Victron.
Excellent! That was the last piece of the puzzle for me! I'm ready to start pulling wire now!

Thanks! Pete
Old 29-04-2017, 23:03   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The main reason to use a Load output is for something non-essential you wanted to cut off when the bank's voltage dropped as SoC declines, and on these Viktrons I believe you can custom configure the setpoint.

Have to make sure the load is within the amps rated.

A small drinks fridge would be a good example, and setting a high enough voltage would make sure it was pretty much operating on "free excess" power produced on sunny days after the bank's mostly full.

In a very small setup it could be set low enough to cut everything non-essential at around 50% SoC.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 03:28   #5

Boat: Easy Sarah 40' cat

The load output can be programmed to operate in response to a large number of different situations.

I have one of my regulators controlling the masthead anchor light. It automatically comes on when the PV stops charging and turn off when they start again. It operates the light at exactly the correct moment and I would recommend this to anyone with a BlueSolar.

Chris
sea-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 03:44   #6

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Typically when I use these small controllers, it is for solar streetlights. The load is the light, it comes on after the panel stops charging, usually with a programmable delay. The light terminals are always labeled load.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, mppt, solar