Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2022, 05:00   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Victron Controller with Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
FWIW

In my limited experience, the Victron app works very well with all iPhones ( at least all iPhones produced in the past 5 or 6 years) but is less than stellar with Android phones. Some Androids work sort of OK and some hardly work at all.
Good news as I have an iPhone 7.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 06:53   #32

Boat: Lavranos H34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So do the Victron Controllers with Bluetooth work as well as advertised?
No. I've had endless problems with the bluetooth app. It won't access the battery monitor because it says something is already connected to it. Even when every device on the boat is turned off except my phone, it still won't connect. Look at the Victron forums: this has been a problem for years, but it seems Victron aren't interested in fixing it.
st0nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 07:46   #33

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

I have a Samsung S9+ and it work just fine. The trick is that you don't connect like you normally would to a BT device. You only connect in the app not with the BT connect like you connect to BT headphones.

First go into the BT in your settings n your phone and delete any connections you may have to the Victron controllers.
Next make sure your BT is on.
Then open the app and let it search of the controllers and other Victron devices you may have.
Then connect to them with the app.

Do not try to connect to them with BT in your settings on your phone. It will appear to connect but it will not work this way.
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 07:49   #34

Yes, mine does. Have a victron 30 amp. Just turn on your Bluetooth on your phone as you already do.
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 08:06   #35

Boat: Lavranos H34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMonstrEd View Post
I have a Samsung S9+ and it work just fine. The trick is that you don't connect like you normally would to a BT device. You only connect in the app not with the BT connect like you connect to BT headphones.

First go into the BT in your settings n your phone and delete any connections you may have to the Victron controllers.
Next make sure your BT is on.
Then open the app and let it search of the controllers and other Victron devices you may have.
Then connect to them with the app.

Do not try to connect to them with BT in your settings on your phone. It will appear to connect but it will not work this way.
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I forget the device in the BT settings, reboot the phone, open the app, and get the same stupid message. I'm not the only one with this problem--the Victron forums are full of it. It's very disappointing that Victron aren't doing anything about it.
st0nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 12:11   #36

Pretty limited really. It does show battery voltage and state of charge but not much else. I do like that so many devices are going bluetooth though.
Kerryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:38   #37
Caz

Boat: 2002 Oyster 66

Hello, does any one know if I can connect a BMV 712 to a Smart shunt I have a VE.direct cable, so want to have a display on the panel in addition to Bluetooth access from my phone. (I already have the hole because I am replacing a Link 20). I can't seem to easily find the information.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:01   #38

Boat: Morgan 382

No. The bmv 712 comes with its own shunt, and also has Bluetooth. It'll do what you want, but without the smart shunt.
Old 11-06-2022, 18:08   #39
Caz

Boat: 2002 Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
No. The bmv 712 comes with its own shunt, and also has Bluetooth. It'll do what you want, but without the smart shunt.
Drats! My bow thruster is connected to the 4 12v 8D AGM house batteries (2x12). I believe that it draws at least 1,000-1,500 amps momentarily so I bought the 2000 amp Smart Shunt. BMV 712 only has a 500 A limit. Hmm... I need to rethink this a bit. Thanks for the info!
Old 19-06-2022, 10:17   #40

Boat: Bristol 27

Hooked up the Victron Bluetooth.

It works quite nicely.

Photos of Laptop wired to Victron with USB Connection.

Bluetooth on phone works great as well once it hooks up

I have 115 watts worth of panels connected at this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211 (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	259682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1212 (2).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	259683  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 15:53   #41
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I have a bmv712 , a smart 12/30 battery charger and a 100/20 mppt controller , all using VE.smart Bluetooth networking. The networking automatically activate synchronised charging so my battery charger and mppt controller switch modes at the same time. Very nice. They both use the BMV data to deduce tail current , actual voltage and temperature

The ability to easily update firmware is very handy.

Victron is currently adding a Bluetooth GATT protocol to its Bluetooth smart series ( first is the smart shunt and soon hopefully the BMV and other devices. ) this will allow Ve,direct style monitoring over Bluetooth.

I just wish the iPhone app allowed you to disable scanning and look for your fixed setup of devices. In my marina I can sometimes get about 8 devices popping up. Many of which have the default password still set ( I usually upgrade their firmware for them )