Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2020, 08:20   #1

Victron invertor/chargers options

They have a few different options and wanted to see what people have used.

My boat will be using a generator, solar and shore power.

Do I need a Quattro or can I just install a manual switch between generator and shore power.

If I end up running two Multiplus units can shore power go to one and generator to the other and have then switch like a Quattro?

Multiple II vs Multiplus?

They also have some units that add in solar chargers but seems limiting on the amps and max wattage of the array. Seems to me it is better to keep that seperate?

Anything else? Experiences? ETC

I plan on using the 24V/5000/120 - 230V unit if going with a Multiplus

Thanks,
ewishki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 10:24   #2

Re: Victron invertor/chargers options

You do not need a Quattro, the MultiPlus with an external manual, or automatic, transfer switch will work just fine.

The MultiPlus II is a new design, pick based on the features you need, don’t spend extra for those you will not use.

Skip the combined units with a built-in solar controller, you want the flexibility of choosing controllers that match your needs.

No, you can not wire one unit to shore power and one to a generator. They need a common power supply with matched phases. Read the manual.

You write that you want a “24V/5000/120-230”. MultiPlus units do not come in multiple AC Voltages. You have to pick: 120 OR 230. If you want the 5kVA unit, it is ONLY available in 230V. If you are looking for a split phase system, I believe you are out of luck, I don’t think they can do that. Read the manual.

For detailed questions, and more authoritative answers, talk to your dealer. You need to have a dealer who is technically competent to answer questions. By design, Victron has minimal support direct to end users.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 11:04   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Skip the combined units with a built-in solar controller, you want the flexibility of choosing controllers that match your needs.

The only place I'd recommend combined units (of any product type) is in physically constrained installations. Components are easier to specify than choosing a 'wholesale solution', and easier to fix/replace/upgrade when necessary.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 11:21   #4
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

@ewishki
What is your shore power voltage/amperage? What output voltage do you need? How much load are you trying to serve with the I/C? It appears that your DC system is 24VDC based on your initial comments...is this true?

If you need 240VAC split phase, you can use two MultiPlus I/C or a single MultiPlus and an Auto Transformer.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 11:22   #5

Awesome thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post

You write that you want a “24V/5000/120-230”. MultiPlus units do not come in multiple AC Voltages. You have to pick: 120 OR 230.
The 120-230 part of the number isn't multiple voltages for AC output. It is 120 amp charger and 230V AC output on inverter.
Old 17-12-2020, 11:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
@ewishki
What is your shore power voltage/amperage? What output voltage do you need? How much load are you trying to serve with the I/C? It appears that your DC system is 24VDC based on your initial comments...is this true?

If you need 240VAC split phase, you can use two MultiPlus I/C or a single MultiPlus and an Auto Transformer.
Battery bank will be 24V. I will use 24V to 12V DC converter for 12V stuff on boat. I am not in US, even though I am American. However, where I am (SE Asia) is 230V.
Old 17-12-2020, 12:16   #7

Get one Multiplus 3000 in whatever voltage you'll use for your generator. These have been around a long time and are on thousands of cruising boats. Very reliable.

Install a pair of breakers with a lockout slide so you can either direct the genset or shore power to the Victron. Or a rotary switch. While not as automatic as a Quattro, not many people need automatic switch over of their AC source. And keeping the transfer switch out of the inverter/charger is one less thing to go wrong in a place you can't fix it.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/806...or_120V_AC_50A

If you find that you frequently need more watts than one Multi can provide, you can always install a second later and wire them for parallel operation. But few boats have enough battery that they need more than 3000 watts of inverter.

Get another charger that accepts both 120 and 230 voltages (and 50hz and 60hz) This lets you charge faster when charging from the genset by using both. Victron has a new one called the Skylla-IP65 that puts out 35amps at 24 volts. You can also get two of these and wire them in parallel for 70 amps at 24 volts. It supports all of Victron's smart charging and communications protocols.

With some creative wiring you can charge through the Skylla at a marina which has a different voltage from the Multi. Then use the Multi to invert to provide AC voltage to your boat in its normal voltage.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 12:17   #8

Boat: Beneteau 361

Doing a refit and decided to go with 3 12V 100Ah BattleBorn LiFePo4 batteries.
Ordered a 12V Multiplus 3000W inverter/charger
Adding 2 150W solar panels going into a viltron MPPT.

Boat has two 30A 120V shore inputs, one will go to the Victron, the other will go to the circuit that runs the Air Conditioning and shore only AC power needs.

There are a lot of resources on the Victron site, including schematics, that you can use to get a sense of what would work for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20201217 Beneteau 361 Electrical Schematic.pdf (1.95 MB, 83 views)
scfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 17:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Get one Multiplus 3000 in whatever voltage you'll use for your generator. These have been around a long time and are on thousands of cruising boats. Very reliable.

Install a pair of breakers with a lockout slide so you can either direct the genset or shore power to the Victron. Or a rotary switch. While not as automatic as a Quattro, not many people need automatic switch over of their AC source. And keeping the transfer switch out of the inverter/charger is one less thing to go wrong in a place you can't fix it.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/806...or_120V_AC_50A

If you find that you frequently need more watts than one Multi can provide, you can always install a second later and wire them for parallel operation. But few boats have enough battery that they need more than 3000 watts of inverter.

Get another charger that accepts both 120 and 230 voltages (and 50hz and 60hz) This lets you charge faster when charging from the genset by using both. Victron has a new one called the Skylla-IP65 that puts out 35amps at 24 volts. You can also get two of these and wire them in parallel for 70 amps at 24 volts. It supports all of Victron's smart charging and communications protocols.

With some creative wiring you can charge through the Skylla at a marina which has a different voltage from the Multi. Then use the Multi to invert to provide AC voltage to your boat in its normal voltage.
Awesome info thanks. Yeah I am going really large on the battery. I will have 14kwh and double that later on. The boat will also be used as a custom charter boat and being able to run AC from battery overnight is vital for the guests that want it. I think I am also going to go with two Multiplus units right off the bat. I read somewhere they need to match 100% in order to do this and buying one later can sometimes give you different internal hardware and/or firmware, etc.

Thanks!
Old 17-12-2020, 20:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewishki View Post
Awesome info thanks. Yeah I am going really large on the battery. I will have 14kwh and double that later on. The boat will also be used as a custom charter boat and being able to run AC from battery overnight is vital for the guests that want it. I think I am also going to go with two Multiplus units right off the bat. I read somewhere they need to match 100% in order to do this and buying one later can sometimes give you different internal hardware and/or firmware, etc.

Thanks!

I put 2 3000w multiplus on a boat last week. Joined outputs for 6000w. Run to a color gx screen.

You will need the USB to vebus adapter and ve configure software to program them on a laptop to run together.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 18:42   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I have one Quattro 3000w 230v, and one MultiPlus 3000w 120v. The Multi isn't even wired to be hot, it only inverts. That way when I'm in the Med or anywhere with dirty power, my refrigerator and clothes washer won't get fried. Regardless of my set up, if you want Victron info, ask the member Jedi. I kid you not - he knows everything there is about Victron.
Old 20-12-2020, 01:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I have one Quattro 3000w 230v, and one MultiPlus 3000w 120v. The Multi isn't even wired to be hot, it only inverts. That way when I'm in the Med or anywhere with dirty power, my refrigerator and clothes washer won't get fried. Regardless of my set up, if you want Victron info, ask the member Jedi. I kid you not - he knows everything there is about Victron.
Will do. Thanks for the info!

Tags
charger